Japanese Birthday picachu

There are two version of the Japanese birthday picachu… One is birthday picachu promo holofoil (pop 6) and the other is the white star second aniversary(pop 592) both psa 10. The cards are exactly the same but if you try to grade them psa does not give you the birthday promo holofoil as a choice in the drop down description only the white star second anniv. Does anybody know what’s up with that?

Are you sure? From my understanding, birthday pikachu only had the white star 2nd anniversary and natte wake release In Japanese. In the past, PSA was not always consistent in their labeling so cards may be listed under 2 descriptions. That may be what is happening here

In pretty sure. Actually if you go to the current pwcc auction (page 5 item 237) you see them side by side. You can see their different label and if you run their cert one has a 6 pop and 592ish for the white star. The one labeled "promo holofoil"it’s definitely the better choice for the extremely low pop. But you can’t find it in the psa drop down.
Worth a look…check it.

BTW the "promo holofoil"is a psa 10 and the white star is a psa 9. But if you find a white star psa 10 and check the cert, at least the pop I found was pretty high.

www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Pokemon-Japanese-Promo-White-Star-Pikachu-Birthday-25-PSA-9-MINT/402587648667?pageci=c90f018b-ec63-47a6-a663-72e249286895
www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Pokemon-Japanese-Promo-Holofoil-Birthday-Pikachu-25-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/402587648650?pageci=a3bb9b9d-aa33-42ea-839a-5cd2b6f789d1

Dude those are the exact same cards. PSA just decided to label them differently at some point. Similar to very early ‘Pikablu’ labels for Marill or ‘Double White Star’ for Neo Genesis.

1 Like

That makes total sense. I sort of suspected it but you cant be sure. The “promo holofoil” label psa 10 had a pop 6. I think I’d rather have that one.
Thanks for the info.