Jan 19th - Jan 25th, 2014 - Trophy Kangaskhan - Promotional

**Card of the week Jan 9th - Jan 25th, 2014****Trophy Kangaskhan - Promotional Card

Well known, well loved, well deserved. Beautiful early Promotional card.

What is your favourite Trophy Card?**

4 Likes

The Trophy Khan is in my top 3 favorite trophy cards of all time. I can’t explain why, but I love it :blush:

Illustrated by Ken Sugimori.

I rest my case. :blush:

5 Likes

This is one of my favorite cards of all time. The artwork is great, but the real interest belongs with the history of the card. I also really like that it has the pokemon card logo stamp, which gives it that trophy card feel. If the Unikarp had the stamp i might be more inclined to purchase one :stuck_out_tongue:

Why don’tthey bring out a remake…? Or a similar ken art oldie card… No weird full art shiny stuff throwing in a bunch of useless pokemon.

Reprints were a good idea. But they have to make them rarer, and use older art.

They will never reprint a card like this for many reasons. The first, and most general point is that the younger audience prefers the explosions and fireworks on their cards. I am surprised they don’t have hash-tags on them yet.

Also, because of the cards release, it is not something they would probably consider re-printing. However, they did re-print some of the original base set cards, and they would most likely re-print something that was released in a set vs an obscure old promo card.

3 Likes

All true, yet your forgot one thing… Hope :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel they could justify doing something retro, they are revisiting old games and reimagining the old stuff all the time. Maybe when Heat Fire Red and Cold Water Blue and Grassy Leaf Green come out on 3ds…

Wouldn’t it be sweet if they used all reprinted arts from cards that were never released in English. Neo intro marill and abra, vhs deck bulbasaur and meowth, natta wake pikachu, pokepark latios and latias, gb / phone card legendary birds, cd promo charizard…

Re-prints are usually lackluster as a whole. It would be nice to see some old style artwork from Sugimori, perhaps some of the watercolor style artwork.

I would be ecstatic and all about a reprint of that SSB card (mewtwo trainer card)!!

I don’t hate reprints, but I don’t really look forward to them or get hyped for them at all. It’s kind of a copout really, they should be creating more new artwork for their cards. The exception of course is the Stormfront set. A lot of the cards are technically reprinted Base Set cards, but they all have new artwork for them which I loved.

If they release a Generation 1 remake in 2016(20 year anniversary, 10 bucks says Sun Yellow) you could probably look forward to either a re-imagined/re-printed Base/Jungle/Fossil Set or just a whole set dedicated to Generation 1 as a whole.

2 Likes

If they made a reprint version of the SSB or any other old-school trophy card I’d buy all copies and destroy them :blush:

5 Likes

I read that and laughed out loud. :rofl:

If you need any help, just say the word! :grin:

The Kangaskhan is so beautiful !
The colors in the background are also very well chosen.

I wish one day I could have this card in my hands … but this day will never come …

How much cards were printed ?

1 Like

Really all you need is money and a lot of patience. They do pop up once in a while, and as far as being expensive goes. For an old Trophy Card they are at the lower end. Not to say that a couple thousands dollars isn’t a tidy sum of money.

I know you say it’s well known, but I had to look this one up after seeing guys getting excited about it on yahoo jp. Mebs add a bit of history to the post for those of us who didn’t know about it? It’s a cool card. Doesn’t someone on the forum have one?

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kangaskhan_(Parent/Child_Tournament_promo)

more info above

Card was released 1998, as a promotional Japanese parent / child tournament card. Only those who won a certain number of matches could receive the piece.

Lol… I almost purchased one of these last year through this forum!!

I suspect somebody else here swooped it up from UU’s collection!!!

Yeah cheers mate! I just thought it would be good to put that info in the original post, too. Does anyone know how many are out there? Have they been graded before?

Yeah I agree, more info would be nice.

I’m not sure of the population count, but I know there was some 9’s last year online in a set of other psa cards.

Price for the piece estimated $2000-$3400 currently, depending on the grade.

I usually just have something quick as the text for the Cotw. When I took over, I figured the idea of Cotw was to introduce people to cards they may not have known of before, and to post cards everybody does know so we can all talk about them. Either way I didn’t ever really think it was intended to be a history/back story of the card with a lot of details. If somebody thought the card looked cool then they could research it themselves.

Having said that if you guys want me to maybe put a bit more information into these then I will.

1 Like