Is this Hockey card real?

Got the itch to start a sports card collection so I ordered a bunch over the weekend on ebay,etsy,amazon.

Well today the first one came in and I dont know if it’s authentic, or not. Don’t have any to compare it to yet.

The artwork is what has me second guessing it, it seems super blurry? Was Topps quality just bad in this era?
oi66.tinypic.com/1zmcq2r.jpg
oi66.tinypic.com/536bgi.jpg

The back of the card and the name on the front look perfect, but the photograph and Topps logo have minor ghosting.

It’s not a valuable card at all, so I dont think it would warrant being reprinted/faked?

Reason why I got it was because 89 was the year I was born, the first complete year Gretzky played for LA, and because I’ve always been a Kings fan(lived in Southern California all my life).

The seller I got it from said “CARD IN THE PICTURE IS THE EXACT CARD YOU WILL RECEIVE…”
this is the image they provided: notice the big crease in the sleeve. i.ebayimg.com/images/g/41MAAOSwa~BYbTlP/s-l1600.jpg

Well the sleeve I received the card in does not have that crease, and it’s in a VERY OLD toploader, like the oldest I’ve ever seen and the tape on it is very old as well. Hard to tell from my scan but it looks and feels really brittle.

I dont think it was just the seller re-sleeving it and putting it in another toploader because if that was the case the tape would be fresh.

Card looks fine. That era topps card often was a bit fuzzy. Scott is quite the hockey fan so maybe he’ll chime in.

It looks fine to me.

I have a couple vending cases of this set by O-Pee-Chee. It isn’t extremely valuable so I would be surprised if fakes do exist, especially for a topps variant. The topps version is the less expensive variant of this card. That is true for all older gretzkys.

1 Like

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!