Is this a PSA 10 worthy card?

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a card and noticed what seemed to be whitening on the back. Not sure if the card had a rough flight to arrive to me or whether PSA missed such an obvious flaw or maybe even if this is something specifically related to this kind of card.

I am currently not comfortable showing the face or any details of what the card is but I can say it’s a Japanese Promo with loads of holo all over. I own a Master’s Scroll with less whitening on the back that got a 9, but the whitening on this card is almost silver and seems to continue off of the front holo pattern as if the holo goes all the way to the back. Anything you guys know about this being common in Japanese cards? I know that some cards from the Legendary collection would have this issue on the from but I haven’t heard much about issues with Japanese promos

Here are some pics

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I’m more familiar with English cards and this is a whole new realm of things for me.

I appreciate your insights and thanks in advance!

Looks like a 10 from the back…though a weakfish one. The front would need to be perfect though. Because of the emphasis on “look”, the front takes on the majority of importance.
Of course the way you blew it up, it looks like the Grand Canyon lol so it’s hard to get past that for most people here.

3 Likes

Front is absolutely perfect but I just wanted a few expert opinions from people such as yourself!

I was just a little worried that I may have gotten less than what I paid for but if you say it’s 10-worthy (even if weak) then it’s fine by me.

Blew up the picture? Or the blew up the description?

Hmmm, I would be disappointed if i had paid a ‘premium’ for that! Doesn’t look 10 worthy to me… just my opinion though…

Ouch…

I meant the extreme closeup of the chipping. That tends to exaggerate the actual visual affect of the damage.

2 Likes

Gotcha!

The op didn’t say they paid a premium. Just the going rate.

Like Gary said, these pictures probably look way worse than how your card looks to the naked eye.

It looks like a weak 10. If the card is well centered and the front is flawless, I can see why a grader could give it a 10. I’d personally give it a 9.

1 Like

Couldn’t find a “going rate” so had to bite a rather big bullet

Absolutely flawless from the front. Centering is great. Can’t complain about anything other than those white spots. I’m happy with the card. No regrets. I just wanted to know whether I did ok or not that’s all. Even if I overpaid I don’t really care much. Just wanted to know if I did in fact overpay or not

1 Like

Just being honest, no point glossing over it… Like i said its just my opinion, I’m sure others will have different views.

I get you. But this is something that I was lusting after for quite some time. It was just a little painful reading that.

And that was my opinion on your opinion hahaha. No hard feelings I assure you

1 Like

I had a psa 8 lotto zard with way less shit on the back than that. But at the end of the day, I buy the grade, not the card.

Other way around, no?

Not for me. I would rather own a psa 10 with a spec of white on the back than a psa 9 that was flawless.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from on that. A 10 will always be a 10 even if it’s weak, but for a 9 to become a 10 is hard.

Personally I even think 8.5 or 8. That’s a lot of whitening.

Looks closer to a 9 in my opinion.

Depending on when it was graded, PSA used to be a lot more lax. Personally I’d rather have a gem mint 10 in their latest case, than the first gen ones when everything was getting 9s and 10s. Seems like a lot of PSA 10 1st base cards are in the older holders :man_shrugging:t3: