is there a site that tracks booster box sales over time?

I am completely new to sealed products and was hoping to do some research for potential buys

Nope!

boxes are so hard since I assume most sales are off ebay. Im not a super big wig so I don’t have the foot traffic or anything. Is it safe to assume they follow the complete set price trends from pokemonprices.com

I think @pierce who runs Pokémonprice considered tracking boxes but the data wasn’t as consistent. I know nothing about the tech, but I imagine there are so many listings with “box” and a set name in the title it would be difficult to accurately scrape that data.

I’m gonna add it, just a matter of finding the time, I have a big backlog of things to do on the site :sob: #dadlifetimesink

9 Likes

no problem I just wasnt sure where to start

You can use www.pwccmarketplace.com/market-price-research to see past sales. You’ll have to register for an account, but you can see all the way back to 2004.

2 Likes

awesome thank you!

Watch older videos from tca/zandg/etc where they mention how much things were purchased for.

Thankyou!
Sad that they don’t ship international :slightly_frowning_face:

I have an Excel sheet where I’ve recorded what I think/hope are the 55 most recent 1999 Unlimited Basic Set booster box sales on eBay. But that only goes back to late October, 2019. PM me with your email if you’d like a copy.
– Dennis

thanks everyone. I think for now Ill just be checking the pwcc sales. I wanted to specifically see what sort of retraces happened to certain boxes post pokemon go event in 2016 and similar times. For someone who is just getting into sealed, I just feel that now is probably not the most ideal time to grab a box that was 1/3 price a month ago. Idk maybe I am wrong, but I did find a ebay seller who is nice enough to sell truly unweighted packs to me so I’m gonna stick to that until I find something truly special that I can jump on for my first box.

Have you been scraping data for boxes?

Common boxes retraced 20%-40% and rarer boxes didn’t retrace very much, just took longer to sell.

Mid tier rarity range boxes fluctuated 10%-20%.

This was all before boxes were seen as an investment piece so it could play out differently.

I’m actually looking into making this so we can keep track going forward for years to come. However I’m yet to start it. Of course it will only run from ebay data and there are a lot of private sales with boxes. All of mine but one were purchased outside of ebay.