Is it better for Arita to sign the CARD or the SLAB?

All very good, very passionate, and very entertaining advice. :wink:

2 Likes

Most cards it really doesn’t matter. Just go with your preference. High end cards I’d be careful letting a dude take a sharpie to it. My boys in Cali just pulled that Charizard. For them, I wouldn’t recommend handing it over to Arita to scribble on lol.

I personally think the slab being signed is unattractive. Also I would assume it would make it a little harder to resell at a later time due to not being able to authenticate it 100%. You would also have to worry about it getting smudged off, or smeared.

On a side note, I also think its tacky seeing things signed that aren’t done by the artist for example, a legendary collection pack signed or base set pack. Seen some of these with Aritas signatures on it and makes me cringe.

1 Like

+1

1 Like

10 Likes

Tons of autos in general case or card are done for resale value. Can’t change my mind because it’s just a fact not an opinion.

IMO it’d be obvious to get a nm/mint mid tier value iconic card signed and authenticated for max ROI and flippage potential. So the above meme misses the mark.

For a rare signature, value wise, the card. Long term, people really need to consider the autograph market in other hobbies. Artists don’t live forever and don’t sign much. Can you imagine someone selling a baseball or tennis ball with the player’s autograph on the glass case and not the ball? A painting with the artist’s signature on the frame and not the canvas? A poster from any pop star with their autograph on the cardboard tube you protect the poster with and not the actual poster?

3 Likes

Most people do the card. Not only in Pokemon but all hobbies.

4 Likes

For 97% of signing the card is fine. But there is a 2% that if the signature is done on the case, well, without affecting the view of the holo, not personalized, well centered and does not cover the beautiful vision of the gem in question surpasses everything and is THE best signed. Request: must be a holy grail and is risk that the signed is not done well centering, etc… and fast and you must protect well the signed after that. The most historic Pokemon signatures by Arita is on a case bgs 10 ( @garyis2000 can confirm it lol).

I think you have to reevaluate your priorities here

It’s just a personal choice. Do you want a “signed card” or do you want “a card with a signature”?

5 Likes

I think PSA and BGS need to create a case to encase a signed case. lol

1 Like

Fair point.

Excellent way to put it. What’s next, signing a piece of adhesive attached on a PSA case so you can peel off the autograph if need be? If you want a signed card, have them sign your card. If you want a signature, have them sign your binder or storage box or a piece of paper you can keep next to card.

2 Likes

Card!! It’s like… would you ever ask an actor/actress to sign the glass of your framed movie poster? Nahhh! You’d probably want them to sign the poster itself! :blush:

3 Likes

The one card where I actually had the case signed was a psa 4 gold star rayquaza that I pulled way back in the day and graded myself about 2 years ago. The card itself and the grade it got is part of my personal story with this card. I wanted to keep the card as-is and keep the grade so having the case signed was the perfect option for me. It added to the journey of this card without taking anything away. In this case I opt-ed to have “a card with a signature” rather than a “signed card” and it worked for me.
People can say what they want about what the best choice is. In general I agree a signed card is by far the preferred option. But in this case the best decision for myself was to get the case signed. This just highlights that if you’re getting a signature for yourself, it’s up to you how you want to do it. There’s no right or wrong answer.

7 Likes

Well said.

Go balls deep and have the card signed on the front and the case on the back.

Or my personal preference, not signed at all.

1 Like

Does BGS authenticate signatures? Where they grade the card and authenticate like PSA does?

Yes

I would prefer the actual card also seems to be where the most value is. Im debating on getting the case of my psa 10 shadowless Charizard signed but its a hard choice cause I feel like it might take away little from the card. Seems kinda silly to have the case signed.