Which would you rather own?

Hopefully an interesting thing to ask yourself.

Would you rather own:

a) a GEM MINT/ AUTO MINT graded card with an authenticated artists signature (that you’ve purchased)

or

b) an unmarked GEM MINT graded card with the artists signature on the case? (that you know is real because you had it signed in person)

The first option definitely seems like a wise choice! Potentially easier to obtain, as long as you’ve got the spare cash, and easier to sell. But would it really be worth as much to you as the second option would? Even if the 2nd option was an ungraded unauthenticated copy, you would have met the artist yourself, and had them sign it - specifically for you! Also the card would remain truly mint.

Would that increase the personal emotional value of the card for you, as a collector? Or would you be just as content knowing you’d acquired the real deal?

Maybe they should provide a service that double encapsulates already graded cards… (Just kidding…)

As someone who enjoys collecting signed cards, I don’t like it when they sign on top of the psa casing but that is just my opinion/taste. I also only collect autographs I have gotten myself because for me it adds to the emotional value but I also know not everyone has that opportunity. Both of the times I met Arita I was lucky enough to be able to talk to him and ask him questions about the characters, the original styles and so on. I also prefer when he sketches the Pokemon on the card; I got a few on my collection thread if u wanna check them out :wink: .

3 Likes

The actual card. A signed case is more susceptible to damage. It also looks odd to me aesthetically.

3 Likes

I would prefer to get the PSA case autographed. That way the card would be truly GEM MINT and it would still be signed.

3 Likes

Real crad autographed, i’m into cards not plastic slabs

2 Likes

I would generally prefer an “on card auto” UNLESS it’s a limited supply card or not generally attainable.

I see the auto as a differentiating factor. If the card does not need a factor, then it takes away from the card value. Ex: I’d rather have an unsigned '97 Pika in its original form vs a signed copy

YES:
PSA 10 1st ed Zard
Any mass produced illustration by the artist
Prefable

NO:
Trophy card
BGS 10 1st ed Zard (only 2!)

NO cards can be signed on the case (can always be wiped off and does not adversely affect the card quality).

4 Likes

I consider signed cards damaged, so on the case.

5 Likes

For artist signed stuff I’d prefer it on the case, I hate signatures on cards they’re so much harder to sell. If it’s on the case you have a perfect card that hasn’t been inked and you still get the artist signature too, and when it comes to resale the signature comes right off without damaging the case so buyers that hate them are still open to buying the card.

For sports stuff, I’d prefer it on the card and authenticated. People care a lot more about sports autos than artist.

3 Likes

Autographs ruin cards imo, so I’d choose case.

4 Likes

I AGREE with this^^^^

1 Like

I love autographs on sports cards. For Pokemon, I am not a fan; I consider a signed Pokemon card a damaged card.

A Pokemon card is a piece of art. On a painting, we all know an artist may sign their name on the bottom so the world can know who painted it. Painters sign paintings to take credit for the work, they don’t sign paintings with the intention of adding another element to the painting.

Arita, Sugimori, etc, their names are already on the cards in the bottom corner, so credit has been established. I am grateful for their talents, as well as contributions towards Pokemon. The artists make it what it is. But I’d rather not see their signatures in large sharpie ink blasted all over the card. Just ruins it for me. I see their names on the bottom corner, and I see the rest of the card as it was intended to be seen.

Case, if at all.

2 Likes

Although a signature on the card is not very nice, but still it is a better choice whencompare with option b).

1 Like

There’s no right or wrong answer here.

My opinion is:

Sign the card if you’re collecting the autograph.
And
Sign the case if you’re collecting the card.

6 Likes

The signed card certainly looks more appealing over a signed case. The case itself can be damaged whereas the card will remain intact within a PSA slab.

1 Like

A lot of really good replies on here. Thanks to everyone who’s replied so far. It’s good to hear everyone’s opinions. Not Zelda Gilroy, I really like your reply! a really simple and elegant way of thinking about it!

1 Like

Gem mint for sure. I buy the card to enjoy looking the art. If the artists held the same wow factor as hall of fame professional athletes then id say sign away all day and or look for signed cards