Why Not Sign Your Card?

Is there a reason not to sign or autograph your card?

I have a raw 1st ed. Charizard that may grade between an eight to nine.five and planning to have it signed and grade afterwards. I noticed a number of comments from the FB group hated the idea of auto, why is that? Would you do it?

1 Like

It’s entirely subjective whether or not someone would prefer a signed vs nonsigned card. To me, a signed card becomes more of a canvas for the autograph vs a nonsigned card is simply the card. I’m collecting pokemon cards, not autographs. To others, the autograph might enhance the card to them.

From a monetary standpoint, a card would pretty much only ever increase from (the right) signature but if you’re not selling, that shouldn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Some like autographs, some hate autographs. There really isn’t a right or wrong answer, as long as you don’t get “To Trainer,” or “To Charizard,” or “To Ash,” because that is incredibly cringe.

As @wooltchi stated, most autographs will improve the value of your card. But if you’re not looking to sell, then you should do what you prefer.

3 Likes

I might be the only one here who thinks this: Auto ruins a card, for me its no difference between Arita signing a card and a toddler, a penmark on a card is damage imo

7 Likes

Trust me, you’re not alone.

1 Like

There’s no reason not to. Autos are cool.

1 Like

After getting my first auto im glad its on a decent condition card and not a mint one. Im going to get a few more when the opportunity arises using psa 5/6/7 condition cards. Ill then get the autos authenticated only. No grade other than showing they are genuine. Nice condition cards with a nice auto are absolutely fine. Keeping my mint and especially gem mint and pristine 10 clean. The signings now are too busy on the card which is a shame. Im likely to struggle getting another as clean as this. Nice simple auto only.

3 Likes

Thank you for your insight!

I actually want my name on the auto. Worst I’ve seen is… “To Arita” lmao

2 Likes

Sounds great to me! I think that you should get it signed if it will make you enjoy the card that much more.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t get a $200 autograph on a $20000 card

15 Likes

Your question presumes my opinion on what you do with your cards matters. The great part about collecting Pokemon is you can do as you wish with your cards :+1: My opinion: if there happened to be a signing in my area I wouldn’t be opposed, especially if it’s an artist or someone that is part of Pokemon that I find compelling (although I’m not sure I would on a really high end card, unless I have multiple copies). I have little interest in buying a card someone else got signed, and I have lots of interest in burning the cards that say “To Ash”/“To Trainer”/etc. Hype-crazed flippers make me moody :melting_face:

3 Likes

Love this :arrow_up:

So, Here’s another question you need to ask:

Why sign it? If you really want an answer (it’ll still be subjective) but if you really want that answer, you have to answer both questions, and you’ll know which is the best option in this case.

Personally, if I had a high-demand card worth grading, and only one, I would certainly not get the auto. As has been said, if I want an auto, I’m getting the card for that purpose, not because the card It’s on is rare.

Also, if you grade the card, do you also grade the Auto? Just the Auto? Just the Authenticity of the Auto? What’s the point of using a high-grade card? Just things to think about. Lots of variables that need to be considered. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In my opinion, the autograph destroys a card, plain and simple. The card text gets obliterated and the aesthetics of the card too, if the autograph is done badly. You can always get a piece of paper, a blank card, a slab or a cheap card signed and still have the autograph.

3 Likes

In an ideal world I’d want two copies of each of my favourite cards, a signed and an unsigned. I’d like to be able to appreciate the standalone card/art and also a version that’s been marked by the person who essentially brought it into my childhood/life. Sadly don’t think I’ll be getting that 1st ed base Zapdos signed any time soon if at all :pensive:

2 Likes