Instagram deleting accounts with Pokémon in the name

Take this as a warning if your username has the word pokemon in it. Got my account deleted without any warning, messages or anything. Years of posts, messages, followers, instantly gone lol.

It was thanks to a few on discord that I realised it was because I had Pokemon in my name - also seems to be happening to others too:

11 Likes

glad I don’t have PkMn in my name, but Thx for the PSA!

5 Likes

What exactly caused that to happen? It was all along fine. They should alert users first and give them a week’s grace period to amend username instead of just deleting like this.

2 Likes

It’s pretty odd. What’s the harm in letting people change their names instead of banning them?

2 Likes

Instagram is acting like a spoilt brat who didn’t pull Moonbreon after 3,000 ES packs! Won’t be surprised if account names with “Moonbreon” is later banned too.

To that person who deleted your reply to me:

I feel your loss, 4k sub is still quite alot. For even publicly-shared postings (info-text, images, sound clips, videos), always do backup. So that when your account or website is down/gone, you still have a backup copy to repost.

2 Likes

Haha i wasn’t sure if my post was helpful. Yeah to me it was a huge loss but after seeing many stories of 20-40k accounts being banned for weird reasons it made me less devastated. For people with instagram connected to their job (artists, musicians) it’s absolutely terrible thing to happen that literally damages your life…

1 Like

This happened to me last year. No warning and no discernible way to retrieve the account or change the username.

1 Like

That’s awful this is happening to accounts especially as others have said that Instagram are doing so without notice and a grace period. Are the accounts that have been targeted listed as business accounts or personal? As they might view that you’re profiteering off their IP.

Unfortunately it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise however, as Pokemon has always been over-diligent in protecting their IP. Pokemon reminds me of Ferrari, they’ll cease and desist you for everything.

When I made my Instagram account I too had pokemon initially in my username. I’m glad I decided to change it, even though I’m not very active on it. Hope you can file a dispute and be reactivated with a name change.

1 Like

49 Likes

69 Likes

Legally speaking “Pokémon” is trademarked. It was only a matter of time.

2 Likes

Hi my friend yeah I noticed your pic was blank on IG I thought first you had deleted then it came back then off again etc thought you might be cleaning it up or something. It’s currently just showing your profile pic everything else is gone.
Let’s be honest this is nuts because all pokemon names are trademarked ie Pikachu. Star wars is trademarked everything’s trademarked if you’re going to do one thing you do all things.
Lots of big names with pokemon are still active. Hope this isn’t a pick on the small guy thing. @gemmintpokemon you might want to see this thread.

Might be a little damaging to pokemons reputation honestly, unless the agreement was just implemented abruptly and poorly by IG…

1 Like

Just switched from PokemonArgentinaTCG to PokeArgentinaTCG; I really liked my name but it’s not a big deal. I enjoy doing Instagram content a lot weather it’s pictures or reels, so figured I’d just do the change and be safe for now. If this clarifies I’ll jump back to my original name.

4 Likes

15 Likes

Fear of something like this happening is why I changed my username everywhere a few months ago. Glad I made the change before it was too late :skull_and_crossbones:

Just noticed you changed yours actually and came here to check lol - glad you got it changed before the mighty ban hammer!!

2 Likes

I think thats best case scenario, unfortunately more than a few people just flat out lost their accounts completely out of the blue

I use EeveeTeam on e4 and on eBay, and technically Instagram (EeveeTeam1) but only use that to message a few people.

Would Pokémon crack down on usage of the Pokémon names as well?
Edit: They did come down on TCA for using Charizard, but maybe since there was a storefront that was different.

1 Like