Import fees for US residents

Hey guys, have a question. I don’t usually buy from overseas but recently did buy from Japan and I was wondering if there will be any import fees or anything that I would have to pay? I know the package will be declared at full value which is over 5k and I am here in the US. So far what I have heard from multiple people is that being a US resident we do not have to pay any sort of custom or import tax. Just wanted to get others knowledge on the matter as the more answers the better. Thanks.

You will not have to pay any import fees.

'MURICA

17 Likes

Nope, you’re good

1 Like

LOL! This made my day

I know everyone is saying you dont, but i bought a 4k USD package from canada last month. You do not necessarily get custom fees. but i got a $85 duty check fee that only accepts a check or money order. So heads up there.

2 Likes

99% of the time no you won’t get hit with customs and other duties unless it says something like luxury goods or textiles. However you could get stuck with a bill depending on where the package originates from for export charges the carrier has declined. Extremely rare but it happens.

You should be perfectly fine.

2 Likes

I bought some items Australia a few months ago which were declared at over $12k USD total. The carrier was DHL and they required me to pay around $50 in import duties before delivery.

I wish that would be the same in europe, I guess I have to emigrate lol

3 Likes

Private carriers do this on occasion. FedEx is the worst. Fedex typically start charging after $2500. However there isn’t a law for imports. Those are just private company policies.

4 Likes

did you also have to pay gst on it?

I’m not sure what I paid. Whether it was gst or something else. I don’t know whether US has a gst.

My misunderstand, i thought you bought items into Australia.

Importing 12k of items into australia and only paying $80 is like winning the lotto.

3 Likes

I was indeed thinking the same and though: wait, didn’t Australia had even higher import fees than The Netherlands? 50 USD import fees sounds extremely low for a 12k package…

I once had to pay ~300 euros (~350 USD) import fees on a 2k arrival from Japan. I don’t even want to know what I would have to pay on import fees for a 40k PSA-10 1st ed. Charizard if someone is using the same shipping option, haha. :slightly_smiling_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I’m not jealous at all, not a tiny bit, nope - nothing what so ever… Im super happy paying 25% VAT and anywhere from 2.7% → 35% import duties depending on the type of product. Thank god the income tax is only 55% where I live!

edit:
forgot to mention the $30-65USD handling fee and $8USD per type of item being imported…

2 Likes