import duty fees

Hi I have a quick question in relation to a purchase i will be making

I am buying a card for $8000 from the usa

shipping $65

I am in the uk and have been trying to figure out a rough idea on what charges i will be faced with upon receiving the card. The seller has yet to send the item and is unclear his side on how international shipping works to the uk as they specified they had not shipped internationally before.

ofcourse I expect to a hefty sum but am unable to work out a clear idea of what that is

my guess as it stands is around $1600 but am guessing lol, if anyone can give me an idea of what costs id expect to pay id greatly apreciate it

Piece!

In order to insure through the shipping carrier, the Value is added onto the package, which is also considered the ā€œdeclaredā€ value. Those values are considered by the applicable country when assessing import tax, which for the UK is a Value Added Tax (VAT) of 20%.

This is correct, except you also get some form of handling fee added on top, so itā€™s almost always over 20% but less than 25%.

Also not all mail carriers insure collectibles of that value, so I would double check whether the service you/the seller plan on using actually does insure. Otherwise, under declaring (although technically illegal) is also an option :blush:

There is also an import duty in addition to VAT. Iā€™m not sure what this is off the top of my head, and it varies depending on the type of good, but the exempt threshold is higher than the amount that is VAT. I want to say itā€™s something like 5%, but definitely do not quote me on that.

Itā€™s also likely that youā€™ll be asked for more information when importing something over Ā£1000. Iā€™ve only had this happen once (they didnā€™t actually send me any notification, so it got returned to Buyee and I had to have them send it again, though they separated the contents into two packages).

1 Like

thanks for all the replies, so overall i can expect around a 25% fee of my the purchase plus a potenital 5% of import duty making a total of 30% fee?

thanks for the heads up I will keep that into consideration i dont want reposts haha

Actually I donā€™t believe collectibles or pieces of art are subject to customs duty in the U.K.: www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9702000090

I used the HS code (tariff code) 9702 as there isnā€™t a specific one for trading cards. You can double check with the Home Office yourself for peace of mind, as I might be wrong. But I would expect up to 25% at most.

@pokekuma13 I did have a look at that, but as you mentioned there isnā€™t a specific code for trading cards, so maybe it would change depending on what the seller declares the package as? i.e. ā€˜card gameā€™ might be different than collectables. For example, the commodity code for ā€˜playing cardsā€™, which they put under ā€˜toys, games, and sport requisites: parts and accesoriess thereofā€™ is 9504400000. www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9504400000

The reason I mention this is because I distinctly remember being charged ā€˜customs dutyā€™ (in addition to VAT) on the form from Parcelfore. I havenā€™t been able to find any of those forms as this is going back several years, but I am certain there was a fee incurred on more than one occasion.

Iā€™ve also found this old ebay forum post by someone who bought a booster box (I think this is actually a member here if I have their avatar right).

community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive-Postage-and-Payments/451-64-import-charge-on-1-219-84-item-why-so-high/td-p/6093597

Thatā€™s @pichufanā€™s eBay handle I believe :blush:

Itā€™s interesting that you mention youā€™ve been charged for duty, as I havenā€™t been in the past for purchases over Ā£1k from Japan. I was charged VAT and an admin fee of some sort if I recall correctly though. I do think itā€™s a matter of using the right HS code on the sellerā€™s end. 2% isnā€™t too bad, but I can see customs being more particular about such a high value import. I reckon calling them, or inquiring using their contact details might be the best option :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™ve recently bought some cards from japan and been charged 20% (VAT) of the stated value then parcelforce is usually around Ā£10-12 on top handling fee.

Ordered some players ceremony cards that came in an envelope and they seemed to slip through without a charge

That is indeed me! That $1,600 was the BIN price for one of two sealed Trainer Deck A boxes up on eBay at the time.

2 Likes

Last March I bought a Charizard psa 10 for $6,457.00 and for customs when It landed I paid Ā£977.36 to FedEx

It will sting but it is what it is, it hurt for a while but was worth it in the end.

It usually comes around 25-26% all inclusive from my experience pre-brexit for me, but to get the exact amount I would speak to an accountant! I really donā€™t know if brexit has or has not changed things as well to be honest.

You could always ship it to PWCC, no import fees.

This is great idea, how much are the fees to store awith psa vault? i take it i can just set up an account

It will cost 1.5% for the year, then after the first year it goes down to 0.25% per year.

Im sure you would save money on shipping costs too.

youve litrally changed my life lol i had no idea this was possible lol i just set up a pwcc account, its given me a vault address im guessin all i need to do now is to put that address in when making purchases so that they are shipped to my vault, with that said, are the fees all sorted out once pwcc have got the card im guessing as i have an account my info is all on system? also in relation to this is there anything else outside of creating an account and adding my shipping address to my purchase that i would need to do when going through with this? im just making sure as its seems liek its a very straight foward process i jut wanted to check if its that simple?

Just set up your account and add the PWCC Vault as a delivery address on your Ebay, as long as they have your PWCC Name and account # on the delivery address, itā€™s that easy.

I use it for all my purchases now. Getting items shipped to Australia and having to pay import tax was hell. Now I donā€™t have to worry because most shipping in the US is like $4.20 to PWCC which to me is crazy cheap, when I usually paid $25 USD per card just to get it to Australia.

It lets me buy heaps of smaller valued cards that just didnt make sense before.

But you donā€™t get to actually see or hold the cards? Apart from being able to profit off any price increase, surely you could just look at pictures of cardsā€¦?

Iā€™m intrigued. So you just keep them there, and then if you sell them do PWCC post them to the new buyer?

My, and many other peoples here collections have ballooned to 6 figure numbers in the last couple years. Yoo expensive to just sit around at home on display.

So my cards would either come to me and sit in my city banks vault, or I coukd just have it in the PWCC Vault for a tax avoidance measures (hehe)

Your question reminds me of people who see my graded comic collection ā€œThey encase the book in plasticā€¦ now you cant read it!!!ā€

If I want to read them I just buy cheap raws, same with TCG cards with binders

1 Like