I need help ( Pokémon Trophy Card Question )

I would like to know the communities view point on which I should buy as my first trophy card. They aren’t the crazy expensive ( although they still are a decent penny ) trophy cards but non the less one of these will be mine I just can’t decide which may be better too have more than the other. What do you all think ?

My options :

PSA 9 Victory Medal Gold

Or

PSA 9 Mysterious Pearl Winter Challenge

Let me know what you think

• Medal
  • Pearl

0 voters

Edit: now I have this as an option :

Why do you want trophy cards? That should provide some insight.

1 Like

I like the medal more cos of the artwork, pearl’s art says nothing to me.

3 Likes

For me I’d pick Pearl over Medal. I like how at first glance I only see the Pearl but after looking just bit harder I see that there is also Palkia.

2 Likes

I like the rarity that comes with them , the history as well. I always wanted to own a trophy card in my collection but never really tried to find any ( that were affordable for me ) as I always thought they were out of reach. Now there’s an opportunity where I can get one of these but I can’t decide :thinking:

1 Like

I think you picked the one with the lowest printed amount of copies as well

See that’s where I’m torn … the Pearl looks BEAUTIFUL and I do actually like the other art work too but then there’s the fact that the Pearl has a lot more copies printed and given out like less than 400?? May facts may be wrong on that one

The gold medal is less than 100 -200 pretty sure

Are these two in the same price range? Since, I think the medal should be significantly rarer (~42 or so?). I personally voted for the medal because, it is much more rarer and hard to find. So when you have the opportunity, you might as well take it.

The other thing is, once you get this medal card, you can finish the rest of the medal set very easy.

Cheers!

3 Likes

You make a very good point …

There’s only 3 PSA 9 grades and 10 graded higher

You say the other two will be easier ? Is that becomes the silver and I presume bronze have a high population?

This gold medal is one of it’s kind, meaning the 2005 copyright card was distributed in 2005 and 2006 only to the winners. There is also a Silver medal with the 2005 copyright but it is fairly abundant. There was no Bronze card made.

Cheers!

1 Like

I love those Pika medals, have plenty of the silvers, so I’m partial to the gold medal over the pearl. Even though I would love to own the pearl as well

Thank you for your help !

So would the PSA 9 Pearl have been given out much more ? I am seeing lower pops of the Miracle Diamond trophy card vs the Mysterious Pearl and not sure why and I can’t find out much as too why if you know mate please let me know I appreciate the info :pray:t2:

I am leaning towards the gold medal simple for the rarity and history as your saying it’s one of a kind

In your eyes as maybe investment the gold medal wins ?

For eye appeal maybe the Pearl wins ?

It’s hard deciding geez lol

Yes the Pearl was given out at 2 events, Battle Road and the Winter Arena Challenge. A lot more cards were handed out in the latter event, besides the winners, so the distribution of the Pearl is higher than the Diamond. The Diamond was a prize card is Battle Road 2007/08 with somewhere around 100 copies together. The least distribution is for the Wonder Platinum which was handed in only 2 limited events.

I don’t know. I know that the Pearl is a much more popular card. The gold medal although rare, shares the artwork with other gold medal cards, so it is not unique and not many people actually know how rare the card is. For any collector, not heavy into promos or prize cards, the Pearl may have more desirability over the gold medal. Price is also driven by the demand, and based on the poll results in your post you probably know the popular answer.

Full disclosure: I have a raw copy of the Pearl and therefore I am a bit biased towards the gold card. I would love to have the 2005 gold medal in my collection someday. But even if I saw one for sale now, I probably cannot afford it.

Cheers!

I would not view these cards as “investments.”

Pokemon cards are generally illiquid, but trophies and niche releases like this are especially illiquid. Don’t let e4’s bias toward these wonderful cards cloud your view - most Pokemon collectors will never, ever, have an interest in them. The cards require a high level of education by the consumer to fully appreciate them (i.e., language barrier, knowledge of the events, knowledge of the distribution and rarity).

8 Likes

Wow thank you again for all your help and insight

I do value the rarity of the gold medal card since I did some more digging and only 21 copies were handed out

BUT

you make a valid point that it’s not what collectors see , and the popularity of the Pearl is definitely showing in the poll lol

Well I think out of visual appeal and also because it does have a story and rarity too it I will most likely choose the PSA 9 Pearl as my first Trophy card but I will see what others have too say too

Having the Pearl though will definitely give me that push too try and get the Diamond :smiling_face_with_tear:

Do we know any price specs of the PSA 9 Pearl / Diamond ? I’m sure the Diamond is much more expensive but I wonder how much more

1 Like

Mysterious Pearl in PSA 9 sells for $3,000-$3,600.

Sales available for the Miracle Diamond are for PSA 10s ($32,000 in November 2021 and for $18,200 in June 2022). There are simply too few graded. We’re talking about a total PSA population (all grades combined) of 13 for the Miracle Diamond vs 117 for the Mysterious Pearl.

1 Like

Yeah there’s no way I can get the Diamond :smiling_face_with_tear:

Also forgive me but the total amount possibly awarded for the mysterious Pearl is possibly under 400 ? I can’t see it being more than that

Yeah the Pearl is winning for me too lol

It’s hard to guage the exact number due to uncertainty in the card distribution for the second event. An educated guess is in the range of 400-500.

Cheers!

Mysterious pearl and victory ring 2003 are the entree level trophy cards. The victory ring is nice because you can get one in the folder and it’s probably the cheapest trophy in a shield/folder. You can also get the mysterious pearl in a shield which is hard to find. I used to own a pearl, but it lost its appeal to me. I think the pearl with the shield is very good looking and I would take that if you can find it.

What do you think is a better though ? The Gold medal pikachu or the mysterious Pearl ?