How to make variation listings on ebay for Pokemon Cards?

I see some people use variation listings under the “Toys & Hobbies > Collectible Card Games > Pokémon Trading Card Game > Pokémon Individual Cards” category, which I can’t seem to do. I do not get the variation option when using this category, but I do get the option when using the same category for Yugioh cards. Why can’t I do this for Pokemon Cards? Under the list ebay provides of categories that are allowed to do variation listings, the individual Pokemon Card option is not there, yet I still see people doing it?

I’ve looked this up and other people seem to have the same problem, with the “solutions” not working for me. I notice some people who do variation listings for Pokemon Cards do them under a different category like “Crafts > Scrapbooking & Paper Crafts > Cardstock” or “Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Fan Apparel & Souvenirs > Wholesale Lots”. Is this allowed? Do I risk anything by trying variation listings under these categories?

This is extremely frustrating but it just isn’t available for a lot of categories that it should be. Someone needs to make an official case with Ebay to try to get that changed, I have submitted a couple tickets about it and never gotten any kind of response.

I usually list under comics>collections and I have never had any problems selling trading cards from various types of cards there.

So short answer → you can use whatever category you want to list things (I think) and you can’t get in trouble for it. It will however affect some people finding your listings if they use certain search methods.

*disclaimer: I am no expert, this is just my experience. It may have repercussions if done on a large scale like if you have an ebay store. Definitely get a second opinion

2 Likes

Do you happen to have an eBay Link for Variation Listing specifically within Pokemon Category? Personally, I have never seen a Variation Listing within Pokemon Category. However, I also don’t really seek-out Individual C. / Un. Cards all that often on eBay - so I could just be missing something there… I can tell you that creating an eBay Listing within Pokemon Category does not allow for any type of Variation Listing. I’ve never actually tried this myself; however, I’m thinking these listings may have started-out within Crafts or Sports Cards and then got revised into Pokemon Category by the Seller after creating Variation Listing - that’s the only way I can think of this type of situation occurring.

I’m not sure how “active” eBay is in pursuing this issue nowadays; however, I would be very careful when creating Pokemon Variation Listings! I know TCA Gaming used to have A LOT of Variation Listings within his eBay Store. However, something happened where eBay found-out about this, and he was forced to remove all of those eBay Listings and list everything individually within his eBay Store. I used to consider using Variation Listings myself; however, once I heard about ordeal TCA Gaming went through, I quickly moved-on from that idea!

Just an FYI regarding Variation Listings… I recently purchased a large collection of Japanese VS Cards which I listed individually within my eBay Store. While I was listing those cards within my eBay Store, I was also looking-up pricing from other active eBay Listings and I actually found this Variation Listing for VS Cards:

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-JAPANESE-VS-SET-1ST-EDITION-COMMON-Very-RARE/352583302372?hash=item52179a3ce4:m:m9FjuZan3yDxJbRTuGcTeaA

My VS Inventory is very similar to this eBay Seller’s Inventory! His are all within a Variation Listing whereas mine are all listed Individually. My VS Cards are all $1.00 or $2.00 MORE than his VS Cards and I’ve been selling a decent amount of them! I’m not positive that this has to do with Variation Listings vs. Individual (it could be another factor as well); however, I believe this does have something to do with it.

1 Like

Here is one of those listings www.ebay.ca/itm/Pokemon-Stadium-Action-3Ds-Choose-Your-Own-Pokemon-Action-Card/392313015844?hash=item5b57ad8e24:m:mgoLLkOYhDcjpX5dm8a7B9g and thanks for your input. I didn’t think about the revising part

Funny you ask this. I’ve been trying to figure this out myself! eBay says it’s only available for Yugioh and Magic. Hopefully that gets changed.

1 Like

I just took a look at that listing - it doesn’t appear that the seller actually listed and revised into Pokemon Category… I thought for sure that was the way to work-around the eBay System! Haha

I’m real confused as to how they were able to do that myself now… I just sent a message to the seller asking them explain their magic - I’ll let you know if I get a response!

1 Like

So this is major dumb-dumb levels on eBay’s part.

The only country that can’t do variations for Pokemon is the US. If you go to ebay.ca or ebay.uk, you’ll see that the Pokemon individual cards category is eligible for variations.

2 Likes

How do you do this? I just checked and it’s still not an option (I use ebay.ca)

Sorry, I thought it was a US only thing but Canada must be missing it too. If you go to ebay.uk I believe you can log in, create a listing, and the variations will be an option. I’ve never walked one through to completion, I’m curious what would happen.

I can confirm what @benoit489 is saying. I’m in the UK and have never had any issues creating variation listings in the Pokémon category. I only have one active at the moment which I created only last month - international visibility is enabled too, so you can find it on the US site: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274187811203.