Selling on eBay from Europe: Picking the correct categories?

I’m on the edge of selling my cards on eBay being based in The Netherlands, but I’ve got the following questions when I was looking through the categories, hopefully someone (probably from Europe) can help me guide through the options.

On the Dutch eBay (ebay.nl) I can choose from the following categories:

1. Verzamelingen > Verzamelen, ruilkaarten > Pokémon (roughly translated: Collections > Collecting, Trading Cards > Pokémon)
  2. Speelgoed en Spellen > Verzamelkaarten, ruilkaarten (roughly translated: Toys and Games > Collectible Cards, Trading Cards)

On the international eBay (ebay.com) I can choose from the following categories:

1. Toys & Hobbies > Collectible Card Games > Pokémon Trading Card Game > Pokémon Individual Cards

At least on the Dutch eBay category 1 seems to be preferred, while when looking around internationally everything seems to be placed in eBay .com’s category 1. Furthermore a couple of months ago I sold some cards via an auction on the Dutch eBay using category 1 and I barely got any views despite it being open to international sales.

This leads me to believe that I cannot use the Dutch eBay if I want to effectively sell my items as category 1 seems to be exclusive to the Dutch eBay and with category 2 I cannot be precise enough, it seems to match eBay com’s category 1, except I cannot go further than two levels deep in specifying what items I’m selling.

It looks I need to sell on eBay.com, is there anything I need to be aware of if I’m going to do this while being based in The Netherlands? I’m aware of most pitfalls of using eBay in general.

If anyone would be able to share their opinion about selling Pokémon Cards on European vs International eBay sites then that would also be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

are you sure the categories is actually the culprit here? Did you have global shipping selected for your auctions?

One way to check is to just list an item on ebay.nl and then go to ebay.com or whichever one and see if your item shows up

I did have global shipping enabled, if I recall correctly it didn’t really show up anywhere.

The toys category usually has lower sales fees so go with that option