How should Leonhart do his 90's store?

Hello E4 community,

Yet again, the time has come to ask the most brilliant minds on the planet this question–how should Leonhart do his 90’s store?
Background info: He’s going to do an event at a physical place to sell packs at the original 3.99 or whatever price, limiting it, etc.

My friends and I debated some ideas like a lottery system, application, or first come first serve, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to see what you all would do that could mitigate people from reselling or just trying to take advantage. For me personally, I’d just open the pack right then for a blast of nostalgia and a chance to see the dude

As usual, hope you all are doing well in this pandemic,

Aurelian

1 Like

People should be opening those packs at $3.99, other wise you’ll just get heaps of scalpers come in to re sell

6 Likes

I would assume 1. That its going to be sponsored and 2. That there it is going to be sponsored by a charity. If those assumptions are true, then problem something along the lines of kids will be let in. If its just to all collectors, probably a lottery system or something to do with his collector friends. I think he is going to make people open the packs there though. If he doesn’t I’d be sad.

1 Like

I can see this being a mess, I hope he waits till after a vaccine is ready for the public because I can imagine the line will be long if no lottery system is set up for a person to enter the store.

7 Likes

It would be cool if he had the customers selected by a lottery or even by some kind of contest. Perhaps you send him a letter explaining why you would like to attend his event, and he could pick from those submissions.

It should be up to the people who buy them whether or not they would like to open them, but it would be cool if there were non-blister packs to be opened. In my opinion, blisters are too nice to be opened for a single base set pack!

find a way to verify lottery entrants to avoid mass entry spam but otherwise yea, lottery seems amazing and just let the people enter 1 at a time and buy 1 item or whatever he is planning for it

Leaving his persona at home

2 Likes

On paper it sounds cute but in practice it just sounds like a logistical nightmare especially with consideration of the pandemic. I don’t think there really is a way of doing it where you don’t have a large number of people who perceive it as unfair in some way. I’m skeptical of the concept but hope it works out for him

15 Likes

If authenticity is the thing he’s going for, then he’s gotta be grumpy as fuck and yell at the kids for looking at the Charizard in the store binder for too long.

Also, hire extras wearing 90s goth fashion and a lot of unattractive people talking about how they look forward to Diablo 2.

26 Likes

There’s no way to avoid scalping. The fact he’s selling things at a ridiculous discount anyone purchasing has made a profit. They will most likely realize that profit or hold onto it as an investment.

If you give a kid or an adult 4 grand in cards — they’re probably going to see that value in it… whether it’s in the guise of long term or short term.

It seems just like a gimmick. Yes, it will give him more viewers/subscribers. Let’s be honest that’s always their goal. If he wants to have an impact just sell at value and donate the profit to charity, simple.

Easy. One pack per person and is either opened by Lee or opened inside the store in front of him or a cohort

5 Likes
  • not do in the middle of a pandemic

• require the packs to be opened on site, which people will appreciate because for many these packs are at a price where it would be impossible to ever open themselves, and if they had one and needed the money would be fiscally irresponsible to open

• rent props like an old school cash register and actors going around saying magic is the real card game, pokemon is for kids

• also sell beanie babies in the store

• audience selected in advance. Doesn’t matter method of picking be it random or contest or friends but people will be super salty if they show up for nothing and the salt will be focused unfairly at him

15 Likes

No holds barred Black Friday-esque battle royale after the pandemic is over.

7 Likes

Should be a kids only event so they can experience the thrill of opening the old packs we all grew up with.

Packs need to be opened on the spot to lower the risk of pack flippers.

Sounds crazy? So what if a 7 year old kid takes his pack fresh Shadowless Blastoise and sticks it in his bike spokes first things after leaving the shop… Leonhart is doing this for the youtube views, right? :laughing:

2 Likes

Honestly, no idea but I think @garyis2000 idea is good. All I know is that tye dye, pagers, tamagochi, hacky sacks, and pogs should be involved somehow :blush:. Please fill free to add to the list.

1 Like

To have fun he should do live video stations and have people open on the spot to avoid people taking advantage and reselling them for much more. He’s doing a great service by selling them so cheap so people shouldn’t complain about opening them. Also two per customer makes sense so others have a fair chance at getting some and having fun.

Most importantly monitor the pandemic and with the proper safety precautious do it accordingly.

But I thought scalpers were fine and a part of the hobby? Whenever I say anything about scalpers anywhere else on the board I’m met with a chorus of pictures of small violins and told I’m complaining too much. Which is it?

It’s almost like this website is comprised of thousands of members with differing opinions.

16 Likes

The goal of this is for Leonhart to produce YouTube content. I would assume his intention is to also allow people to open packs they otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford. If someone walks in, buys a pack then leaves to sell it, it completely defeats both goals. It really has little to do with scalping and more to do with defeating the point of this store. And if for whatever reason Leonhart let people leave with sealed packs I think there is no reason why they shouldn’t flip it when they got home.

This situation is so far removed from the person who makes $10 selling boxes they got from walmart on virbank. And yet here you are complaining about people complaining that you complain about scalpers, so in honour of the apparent e4 tradition, here’s the smallest violin I could find → (it’s too small to see)

6 Likes

YES and no… for a regular booster pack I say it should be opened, but for those blisters there should be an option to take it home. I would LOVE to have a charizard blister pack, but would die a little inside if someone forced me to rip it open right there.

He mentioned giving an option for 2 packs, so maybe 2 packs and you must open both or you can buy one pack and can have the option to keep it sealed. I don’t think reselling is going to be a problem though because if I fly from NY to TX to get a pack, I am not going to just resell it right away. That would be stupid.

Now if you live in TX or close by then you have that ability to resell and make money, but 90% of us would not have this option. It would be almost a break even mentality with travel costs.

If this is a brick and mortar store and he sells virtually/online to people, then it should 100% be opened.

2 Likes