Requesting sealed pack from a box-break

I had a thought the other day when PokeRev was opening up that EX Unseen Forces box as a box-break. This isn’t anything negative towards him, or anyone else that does box breaks. It’s just a thought. I love PokeRev, and it’s really really awesome how what he does gives everyone a fair chance at unweighted packs. However, I couldn’t help but think, what if someone bought 5 packs, and requested them sealed until after the live stream to see if they have a chance of pulling hits. (Gold star, EX, etc.) Lets say that if 2-3 Ex’s got pulled as well as a gold star. This person then dumps the packs on Ebay as unweighted knowing that there is almost no chance something of value is in the packs. Let me know what you think. I may be thinking about this the wrong way. I know it’s extremely unlikely, but is it possible to open 2 Gold stars in a box? Again, I love people that do box breaks, but I can’t help but see the possible negative affects of not showing all packs opened.

I totally 100% agree with your concerns. People are sandbagging till the end to see if the packs they bought are worth opening or not. If all the good stuff is pulled like they’ll simply turn around and flip their packs as “unweighed”.

At the end of that video, when he posted the next box he would be opening (Fire Red Leaf Green) he stated he would only be selling packs to be opened live, no more buying and keeping them sealed. This is good for the reasons you posted above, plus as a viewer it’s super boring knowing good cards could be leaving in sealed packs and just never knowing (which is what the entire stream is about, seeing the good pulls). If people really want “sealed” packs without the intent of opening, there are plenty of “light” packs on eBay they can buy to display. But there’s no need to buy them from a box break just to keep them sealed, unless you’re buying just to resell them based on the pulled results. Sure some people like opening packs themselves instead of him, but as he stated in his video there is enough demand for these packs he can easily clear 36 people that are willing to pay to have them opened on the stream.

2 Likes

I figured I couldn’t have been the only one to give it a thought. I will admit, I didn’t catch that part of the livestream. I must’ve either missed it, or exited the video before the very end. I’m really happy to hear he’s doing that though. Mad props to PokeRev. I always thought, those packs sell so fast, I was almost certain someone that wanted them to be opened on the stream would come along and buy them. Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe I’m one of a few, but I don’t like all the box breaking. it would be nice to keep boxes sealed out there instead of having them all opened.

3 Likes

1000% agree. Obviously it’s their property etc. etc. etc. but there really is no good reason to keep opening these artifacts, even if it gets you ad revenue or traffic or whatever. You can buy whatever card you’re hoping to pull out of almost any set for way less than the box price. This is an extremely selfish take but every out of print box that gets opened is depriving a sealed product collector of the opportunity and jacking up the price and scarcity even further. Once they’re all gone, they’re all gone.

2 Likes

I definitely see both of your points. I don’t really consider myself a sealed collector, so I don’t really have a stake in it, but I definitely feel like it would be frustrating to see something you have interest in buying being opened and causing the prices to keep going up and up. I guess that is just part of the game though. For me, it’s the gambling element to it. I’ve never purchased a booster in a box break before, but I definitely see the appeal. It’s like a Pokemon themed lottery. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s all about the Benjamins baby.

2 Likes

I have been wondering the same thing about the sealed packs. Is there a gold star in the sealed packs? Who knows? And yes if you count 11 or 12 holo’s your like hmm my chances are slim to none that there’s anything good so I see the thought process. But yes I feel the same everything should be consistent. Open all or sell all sealed but at the end of the day its still a great privilege to watch. Not many of these videos are out there. It’s normally people opening a few vintage packs mixed with mostly new packs

1 Like