How’s the Dragon ball Super card game doing lately?

For those who collect and are in that circle how has it been doing lately? Does it still have some legs and are new sets keeping it relevant? Do you see it sticking around say another 5 years? Have graded card prices seen a decline or slight increase this year?
SO MANY QUESTIONS…

3 Likes

Still collect a few myself, With season 2 of Dragonball super this year could help keep the card game live a bit longer. Same with Pokemon though… If prices dip I can buy more cardboard :blush:

1 Like

I have been collecting sealed booster packs (all artworks per set) since GALACTIC BATTLE 【DBS-B01】 just because i love Dragon Ball and the packs look really nice, Not to interested in the cards inside though myself as i don’t play the game. Not sure if it will still be relevant in another 5 years… I’m Positive Dragon Ball will but i dunno about the card game. I hope so! I asked my local game store about future stock with dragon ball and he seemed optimistic but said it was struggling to take off, He was struggling to shift older product like i think at the time ASSAULT OF THE SAIYANS 【DBS-B07】 was the new set just released and he still had a couple of open boxes of CROSS WORLDS 【DBS-B03】next to it.

2 Likes

All I can say is if you held on to any of the signature cards or ToP sealed product, you made a killing. The DBSTCG is doing great.

1 Like

It’s BOOOOOOMING. Honestly Dragon Ball Super TCG is so fking fun and inexpensive.

2 Likes

Yup just got this and was about to say PSA sponsored it, love the cards. Some people talk down on it only because they are going at it with an investment standpoint. I think the cards look awesome and have always loved DBZ

2 Likes

The big cards have cooled down.

10s outnumber 9s 6:1

The high grades don’t deserve the premium imo.

That being said the SPRs, SRs and SCRs look amazing and it’s the perfect cross between Dragon Ball and card collecting you could hope for.

I feel like the bulk of the sets feel cheap, just screenshots grabbed from the show. When they take screenshots from Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z the older animation style has a charm but when they borrow from Super it feels a little flat and lifeless.

2 Likes

This is the other card game I collect other than Pokemon. It’s ungodly fun to open. I see the price jumping WAY up due to how limited the hits are as well as how cheap the MSRP is on a sealed box… SCR is 1 per case and Signature is like 2-3 per case from what I’ve heard.

Point-in-case, I middleman for an Australian and he is telling me locals are paying between 180-190usd per Assault of the Saiyans box. I’ve acquired numerous boxes for ~$75… you do the math…

1 Like

This was an issue for me. I once got pretty close to getting into DBZ cards but as a set collector I just didn’t like the aesthetic of most cards. Im not knowledgeable of the types but some of the foil ones with the power levels on the side look amazing. Most cards as you mentioned just look like a screengrab and I can’t get into it. If you have links to resources where I can learn more I’d appreciate it.

I feel like high grades in any collectible deserve a premium. It’s only bound to get worn down with time, which is one of the points of grading a card, the preservation.

All my friends quitted because cards became very expensive so their decks were not to date and they couldnt win at all. So they moved to pokemon again

What’s the best box under $100 to buy just to open packs? (Don’t care too much if I pull a rare playable card)

@pokecollectoramy I’m not too into it but a good box to buy to open would be the ‘Assault Saiyans’ box which includes those signature cards. These boxes go for around $100 which were released maybe last year. Out of the 10 sets or so released there are only two sets that include the signature cards. These cards with the voice actor signatures don’t have much play and are designed for collectors, the other set known as the ‘Tournament of Power’ boxes go for around $900 which includes sig cards and the most expensive Goku card.
Avoid earlier sets as they lack flair and the new set something unison took away Holo rares and introduced non Holo rares which is less flashy but more rewarding when pulling shiny cards. If you want to dazzle into the crazy holos and shiny things I’d avoid these.

1 Like

Awesome thanks. I saw a ToP recently sell for $1300 and I was floored. I’ll check out Assault Saiyans

2 Likes

Graded cards are really expensive right now as well as raw, so I think ima start buying and opening booster packs/boxes. It just happens the two sets that interest me the most are some of the most expensive AotS and Destroyer Kings. I just feel if I’m going to drop $500 to 1000+ On something graded it’s gonna be on Pokémon. I really do want that sig Gohan and Vegito though.

1 Like

Buy them raw and grade them, 90% of the time they will come back 10s.

Or buy the boxes and hodl. They’re easy grades which means more people opening boxes.

1 Like

My local shop has Assault of the Saiyans boxes in stock still. If I were thinking of holding sealed Super product, would that be the set to buy and hold?

I’d be careful. If you’re going to speculate regardless then yes Assault of Saiyan’s, TOP, Universal onslaught, or destroyer Kings seem to be your best bet rn.

1 Like

I really dig the signature cards as a personal collectible, so at worst could crack them for fun and hope for the best.