Pokemon Has A Long Way To Go - 12.6M Mickey Mantle Record Sale

A record sale happened yesterday: 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 SGC Mint+ 9.5 - 1985 Rosen Find - | Lot #53014 | Heritage Auctions

The SGC 9.5 Mickey Mantle rookie went for 12.6 million dollars! This is the highest publicly sold trading card & sports collectible! What is interesting about this specific copy is it sold for 50k about 30 years ago. That is exactly what I sold Illustrators for back in the day. Will there be a pokemon card worth 12.6m 20-30 years from today?

Oh and how will this affect the pokemon market?!! :wink:

29 Likes

thanks just raised the price on my steam siege boxes

41 Likes

Vast majority of serious sports collectors are well-established and have deep pockets. Pokemon’s major audience hasn’t even reached that level of wealth development yet. We have a way to go, but I don’t think it’s as far off as one would assume.

7 Likes

It’s an impressive sale, given the overall world market sentiment towards many investments the past 9-12 months. I feel it will strengthen the overall collectibles market, because it shows that people are still willing to drop the big numbers down on key cards & collectibles even during negative times.

Seeing sales like this makes me believe cards like Charizard or Black Lotus or other key non-sports cards will inevitability get in the 7 figure range at some point or another. It just feels that way to me at least.

2 Likes

Hot and most likely false take - only 2 people in the world were willing to drop more than 5 million on it, and they both outbid each other to 12.6 million.

4 Likes

Illustrator may top it in 30 years. Who knows, but you can always just get a lower condition copy for a '52 Topps Mantle, unlike most golden era trophies. That’s why I’m so optimistic on those golden era trophies, not that I have a dog in the fight.

3 Likes

In my opinion :
A Pokemon will never reach 10 million especially Illustrator.
A fictional character is very difficult to surpass a real lived character.
I don’t know how works Liquidmarketplace but someone a few weeks ago said that Illustrator PSA 10 is already starting to lose value.
And recently Illustrator appear like mushrooms, @proretrox in a recent post on Instagram he said he sold “The SwirlIlustrator” but he has another illustrator available.

Is there a possibility that someone has taken over the machines to print the cards? And once in a while does he print one and put it to sell?

2 Likes

Maybe I’m out of the loop on some inside joke or meme or something, but I really can’t tell if this post is serious or not.

10 Likes

I saw that sale and lost my crap for a hot second! Wasn’t expecting it to eclipse the Wagner in such a thorough manner. Makes sense though given condition :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So you’re saying the biggest media franchise in the world will never reach the heights of sports ever due to one being a two dimensional illustrated visual art, compared to a real life individual where people are prone to pay more just because one’s real and one’s not? The hobby may still be in infants stage, but that’s a bold take to assume that it will never get there considering what has happened the past few years alone. I wholeheartedly disagree.

People have been talking noise about the illustrator losing value and whether or not it’s just all hype for years.

Collectors, collect. Anything else is just noise.

5 Likes

God bless the Gold Star Greninja

17 Likes

I agree with that. Vintage Pokémon trophy cards are sooooo limited printed that can’t really compare to this sale

1 Like

Yeah. There’s no card to compare because the early print runs of Pokemon don’t have 3 PSA 10s. Its a steep goal, but we know the rarity and its all about the demand.

2 Likes

Just curious, how would politics prevent anymore 10s if the card is worthy? Wouldn’t PSA want to have the next record sale by having one in their slab as a 10?

1 Like

Well, such trophies have already set themselves apart, but they aren’t the cards we wanted as kids, unlike Mickey Mantle.

All I mean to say is Trophy cards are something no other mainstream hobby I’m aware of have. So it’s hard to find things to compare then too.

1 Like

Okay, I stand corrected. There are cards in sports to draw comparison to old back trophies.

3 Likes

This is good for Dragon Ball cards

8 Likes

No offense, but I just don’t understand this idea. Some of the most valuable artwork is complete fiction. Hell some are just colors on canvas with no figures at all.

As for liquid market, I wouldn’t use any fractional share as market value. There are psa 10 base unlimited charizards well above their last eBay sale. Id even go further and say market value isn’t a thing for high end ultra rare items. If I took this same mantle and auctioned it on Instagram, it probably wouldn’t earn 12m. Same goes for fractional share outlets.

8 Likes

If I took this same mantle and auctioned it on Instagram, it probably wouldn’t earn 12m.

If you did it via raffle on Instagram, however, it would net at least double that.

5 Likes

That’s interesting because as a non-American, the sports card market is insane.

I don’t know why people would pay for cards of players from different teams, or outside their own era or even any card which amounts to a photoshopped picture of a player as opposed to artists drawing artwork. Fictional characters OTOH can masquerade as art on cardboard.

I may not be the biggest football fan - I only care to watch my own team’s games, and even then only ones that are live/highlights, so I really can’t see the appeal of players from yesteryears.

If that holds true in non-American markets, then for sure Pokemon, which transcends borders, will eventually surpass sports cards. There are just more consumers or more specifically there is a higher chance of having those willing to pay the bigger the potential market is.

3 Likes