How many people have collections over $500? 1000? $5000?

Hello, I was wondering after looking at many E4 members highest value expensive cards what percentage of all people who self identity as Pokemon Collectors have collections over $500, $1000, $5000, and $10000. How many individuals would that percentage amount to?

Right now my very rough guess would be that 20% of collectors have collections over $500, 5% over $1000, 2% over $5000, and 1% over $10,000.

Thanks

Edit: I updated to clarity that I was wondering about all collectors, and not just E4 collectors (I would assume that nearly all E4 members have collections of 1000+ and maybe 30% over 5000+)

I’d say 30-50% are over 10,000?

21 Likes

I think people serious enough about this hobby to post on a card collecting forum will have higher value collections than the average joe collector

I have in the thousands, not sure if it’s quite $5k though. I mean maybe if you sold every holo rare at TrollandToad price, but honestly that’s not feasible.

The thing is even most non collectors have $500-1000 'collection’s. I would absolutely cross the $500 and even $1000 for anyone collecting in any serious way. You’re well past that even if you only spend $100/month.

I would not be surprised one bit if 50% of efour members have a $10k collection… It adds up quite fast and you don’t even need a single $1000+ card to have a $10k collection tbh.

Also keep in mind the $500-1000 collection from… not very long ago is probably worth that now.

1 Like

I’m not just talking about collectors on E4, but all people who would self-identity as collectors.

I am a fairly new pokemon collector so I would value my current Collection at about 500-600$ :blush:
However I don’t know how many people on this forum can relate to that so to answer your question I would say that experienced collectors such as Mr. Gilroy can give a fair judgement about this forums collectors base (y)
I see now that this comment does not bring much to the table, however a wise person once said: Age is of no importance if you are a cheese.
Now that does not make much sense at all, but who doesn’t like cheese?
Cheers!

3 Likes

There is no way to accurately guess something like that. If we say what we think it is, it’s literally a wild shot in the dark.

I misread that part as well. Your estimates are way more appropriate then.

There’s just no way to know how many people are participating/collecting…

1 Like

I haven’t conducted a full valuation of everything (a lot rests on complete set premiums etc) but I’d put myself in the over $10,000 group.

I’d think that most collectors that aren’t children have collections over $500. I’d say 60% over $500, 20% over $1,000, 10% over $2,000, 5% over $5,000, 1% over $10,000 and 0.1% over $50,000.

3 Likes

How do you define a collector, is someone who buys a couple of random boosters every now and then a collector? I’d say more than 50% of ‘collectors’ would have over $500 in cards. When it come to collecting that’s a pretty easy number to pass, I mean competitive standard decks are 200-300 and I think collectors would have more value in their collection than what one standard deck is worth.

$10,000 bracket seems like a low place to stop :blush:

2 Likes

My interesting question is fair market value or book value?

Are we valuing our collections on what we spent or what they are worth now?

fair market value I’d assume. Otherwise, there isn’t much of a standard for comparison to bridge older and newer collectors.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if your collection is worth $100 or $1 million. The intrinsic value is what really counts.

One of my very favorite cards — a no-rarity Marumain (Electrode) — is probably only worth about $50, tops. But I’d never consider selling it.

12 Likes

Oh then definitely over $10,000 lol

I’m over 10k but it’s very hard to estimate percentages in different brackets IMO.

E4 has the highest concentration of high end collectors, so this sample size is going to be a lot different than other places like Virbank, IG, Reddit, etc…

Most people on those sites would look at a collection of around $3,000 like mine and think that is high end. High end here is going to be a lot different.

5 Likes

The average collection is valued at close to $2 million.

Gary single-handedly boosts the average up a couple million though :wink:

4 Likes

In a few years it’ll be $1-$10, everyone will just buy customs right? :wink:

Why spend more on the real thing?

2 Likes