Most you’re willing to spend or spent on a card?

Not sure if this a weird topic but figured I’d ask.

Obviously we all have different amounts given our circumstances. But for an average collector. What is the most you’d spend on a card and what would that card be?

4 Likes

gonna go with a big ol “it depends”, but as a general rule, i’d say no more than my monthly rent. with that said, i still haven’t crossed that threshold.

4 Likes

For a single raw card? I cant justify more than $75. I think i paid that for a gold star (very worn) and a couple of the expensive modern alts. Once you add other things, the expectation changes since Ive spent much more on decks, at this point $200-300 is a moderate price for some of the rarer decks with some going as high as about $800-1000 (but my justification is that its 60 cards! :sob:).

8 Likes

I feel like that’s a good limit. No more than rent feels like the call

3 Likes

to be fair, there haven’t been any cards that i want that exceed that. the biggest purchase i’ve made is a jp ray star which i had been putting off for years. i think the next most expensive card i want is the play mew ex. i’ll get around to it eventually

2 Likes

Around $200 is my single card cutoff, beyond that they don’t exist to me. The most I have ever bid was $400 on a graded card that went for $1300 and I regretting making the bid as soon as I did it.

9 Likes

Low three figures. Whenever a card is expensive, my mind just goes to how far this would go to pay for a booster box of some kind, my one true (strained) love.

6 Likes

How much was the ray?

1 Like

Most ive ever spent on a single raw card was 250 USD give or take. That was with a sit down conversation with my wife and not something i would do very often. The most ive spent without hesitation on a single card? 100 USD. My thought process is slightly different than most. Ive mentioned a little bit about my sobriety but basically collecting has helped. I used to spend 20 dollars a day on alcohol, so spending that much on a card a couple times a week instead is actually saving me money and isnt killing me. The good thing about a lot of the cards i actually prefer though is that a lot of them are under 10, even 5 dollars. There are a few exceptions here and there but yeah you get it.

13 Likes

I’m really wanting a modern cert 1st edition shining tyranitar PSA 10 to go <=$3k.

8 Likes

$2,700 on my Umbreon Gold Star was the most I ever paid for 1 card.
Now the maximum I would pay for a card is $1,000

7 Likes

What grade was the umbreon

1 Like

Congrats on the sobriety and glad you’re doing well. You have our support here.

I think taste in cards plays a big part in the price too

3 Likes

Ooh that’s a cool card

1 Like

It was a CGC 6.5 with a perfect front, whitening on back. Perfect for the binder.
Definately bought during the covid boom. But it was the last English card I needed to get to 100%

4 Likes

Still a very cool card. I think I’m at the same spot where 1k is the most I feel like I would go. Maybe 1400

1 Like

I was looking through my spreadsheets the other day, damn near every card I bought or even graded from raw during the COVID boom has dropped. Many below what I paid by a good amount!

Crazy times, I wonder how many people still have large “inventories” (not collections) from that era. I can’t imagine any of it is doing great comparitively

2 Likes

Click my art collection in my profile, I recently purchased an authentic Fan Club eevee that set me back $2,600 after grading. ??? decision making but I love him

12 Likes

I’ve bought a few I needed in the $1500-2000 range. I have one more on my current chase list right about $1000 which is my new limit.

1 Like

What’s the card on the chase list?

1 Like