How much money invested in collection?

I suppose that question could be disambiguated different ways, but I was curious to hear any of y’all’s thoughts and figures!

About tree fiddy

15 Likes

10 years of buying selling and trading. Didnt actually put cash until recently, maybe 3k max

2 Likes

Somewhere above 20k.

3 Likes

Not a single cent invested. I collect to collect. I’ve certainly spent way more than my wife wish I did. LOL

4 Likes

I’ve got about -$10,000 into mine. Thousands and thousands of hours though.

Started with a $5,000-$10,000 seed from my savings and paid it back and then some. Still take loans from myself occasionally, but always pay them back as I don’t want to have to bust my own kneecaps.

19 Likes

I didn’t buy all PSa cards or sealed product so technically I havnt invested. My collection is worth around 15k and climbing but I spent around $1500-$2000 on initial mistakes when rejoining the hobby which I don’t include in my totals. I go off my collection tracker. People should talk more about what mistakes to avoid when rejoining the hobby. One example is I had no idea base set 2 ever existed or evolutions reprints so the Facebook marketplace listings I thought were original base set lmfao. Also I did both my Facebook marketplace deals by friends and family and got screwed on both. Or opening and opening collection box’s and booster boxes of modern just for the card i wanted instead of buying it

2 Likes

Time, lots and lots of time ever since I starter out with playing Magic.
If I would (be able to) calculate the hours I put in and the amount my collection is worth I should have just gotten an extra low paying job. That’s why they call it a hobby I guess, no regrets!

1 Like

25,000.00 … (this past week👀)

25 Likes

I found the monopoly man^^^^ lol

Someone get Gary a damn top hat, black cane and handle bar mustache

3 Likes

Not sure on a exact number, but if I had to guesstimate, I’ve probably paid in around $3,000, give or take. But after continuously changing my collection goals and selling things off for other things over the past two years, as well as getting a couple really awesome grades on my submissions, I’m sitting at about a $10,000 collection. The market has always been kind to me, lol.

1 Like

About £80,000 on what I currently own

1 Like

Around 20,000 USD. Started wanting to buy just a base unlimited Charizard… things escalated quickly lol

2 Likes

Been thinking about trying this strategy myself. Did you pay it back by selling items or just by slowly putting the money back into savings each month from paychecks and such?

1 Like

This exactly :blush:

And tbh, I don’t even want to know the amount of money I’ve spend on not just Pokémon, but all my collections combined. Definitely above 50k euros, though… :sweat:

Actually, I’ve once bought multiple Japanese, Korean, and Thai booster/deck boxes where I only needed one for my own collection, so I guess I’ve actually invested roughly ~200 USD (that will maybe pay off 10+ years from now).

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Same, but I don’t do this type of spending as regularly as you.

2 Likes

Well we know where the loch ness monster is now

2 Likes

I just did the math on this today, and after spending on purchases and grading fees, I have spent about $16,000 in 2 years. My PSA collection is valued at $15,500. But i have much more to grade and other things like theme decks that arent gradeable but have value. So i am still well above my overhead/expenses value wise. But it sure is crazy that Ive managed to spend that much in 2 years making minimum wage lol…

Edit:

Not all of the $16,000 was out of pocket- i flipped some product to help raise more funds to buy for my collection also; so it was pretty much recycled funds.

3 Likes

Roughly $20k USD. Maybe higher recently with some card increases. I obtained most of my value from grading in 2017-2018 and getting lucky on some nice minty cards

1 Like

I’ve spent $27,500 since Feb 2017. Net spend is -$9,800 though with $26,000 in inventory :blush:

2 Likes