How long does it take for market price to catch up to PWCC?

On average, do market prices usually follow PWCC prices shortly after?

PWCC is the whore of the collectible world. If you pay them they will put out with zero interest, concern, or strategy. They break all the rules that common sense dictates would maximize final prices.
And to answer your question, their fake prices affect market value negatively.

8 Likes

Doesnā€™t PWCC advertise cards theyā€™re going to auction to some significant extent before listing them? (Iā€™m not sure itā€™s fair to say they have ā€œzero . . . strategyā€)

And in what way are ā€œtheirā€ prices ā€œfakeā€ā€“isnā€™t it the bidding community/market fairly determining the price of any given card?

I donā€™t know much, but was just hoping you could help me understand your apparently extreme view on PWCC

1 Like

Iā€™ve never used PWCC, am I missing out?

1 Like

Iā€™ve never used them either! Some people think PWCC-auctioned cards generally fetch lower prices. But Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve seen a rigorous comparison. (It might also vary significantly depending on whether PWCC is listing several of the same cards at once)

Gary, are you trying to say that you wouldnā€™t recommend PWCC? You werenā€™t 100% Clear as to your opinion with them; just wanted to to get some clarification from you. Hahaha

No, Iā€™d have to agree with you - got a kick out of that comparison! LOL

1 Like

@KingPokemon used an extreme comparison; however, his overall post was spot-on!

Sure, you could argue that PWCC does advertise their Monthly Auctions (to some extent). They post the next Auction on their website with a run-down of everything that will be available. They also utilize e-mail marketing - where they will e-mail their subscribers about the upcoming Auction. And, Iā€™m not positive (donā€™t really follow them), but Iā€™m sure they also utilize Social Media. So, comparing them to your individual eBay Seller, they advertise much more! However, comparing them to every other large-scale eBay Consigner, they offer the exact same type of services (obviously in different categories / markets).

And when you compare PWCC to an actual Auction House; their ā€œadvertisingā€ is a complete joke! PWCC and Auction Houses both sell high-end collectables on a regular basis ($100,000.00+ Cards) - yet PWCC does nothing compared to what a legitimate Auction House does for their consigner - hyping-up the item for more than a month (website, e-mail, catalogue, magazinesā€¦); spending-time to write-up an actual (good) description for each collectable; using Item Titles that actually make-sense (not this plug and chug stuff that PWCC does). So, when youā€™re talking anything high-end, PWCC is a HORRIBLE CHOICE!

Getting into price-point, in a perfect-world, what youā€™re saying is partially true. Itā€™s important to take in consideration Auction vs. Buy it Now. Generally, Auction Prices are lower than Buy it Now Prices - but thatā€™s a whole different topic. Factoring both Auction and BIN Prices will give you a perfect overall market-value for most items (unless youā€™re talking something thatā€™s very rare).

Getting back to PWCC, Iā€™m willing to bet that thereā€™s not a single person on E4 willing to sell you a PSA 9 1st Ed. Base Charizard for what the ā€œmarketā€ determines as a fair-price via PWCC Auction - just using that as an example, can apply for many other PWCC Listings. Being an eBay Seller, Item Titles are ESSENTIAL - using the fill-in template that they use is just awful!

Hereā€™s a recent example:

1999 Pokemon Shadowless Ultra Hi-Grd COMPLETE PSA 10 SET, Pikachu Machamp (PWCC)

www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Shadowless-Ultra-Hi-Grd-COMPLETE-PSA-10-SET-Pikachu-Machamp-PWCC/401493883401?hash=item5d7ae67a09:g:TIcAAOSwkPJahgBp

eBay only allows 80 Characters within your Item Title. They used-up 30+ Characters on useless garbage (Bolded Pieces). And No, I donā€™t consider (PWCC) to be garbage - actually do believe thatā€™s a positive on their part.

Additionally, and more importantly, they list cards in-order of release and set number. So, if they have 3x PSA 9 1st Ed. Charizard Cards available, each listing will be one behind the other (with just seconds between each being closed). Anyone who has ever sold on eBay for any length of time should realize that this type of practice is AWFUL and basically guarantees a lower-price. Somewhere on here, there is a screen-shot of two PSA 10 1st Ed. Base Set Chansey Cards sold by PWCC. IIRC the first card sold for $1,000.00 more than the second. Does that mean the market-value dropped by $1,000.00 in a matter of seconds? Or should we average the two to determine market-value? Personally, I wouldnā€™t consider either of those options to determine fair market-value.

Hope that helps clarify what Gary was trying to get at in less words than this! LOL

2 Likes

The least thing PWCC (and other similar businesses) can do is provide high-res pictures for all people to judge/decide better. High-res will make cards look much clearer; rule out fake 1st stamps, any questionable imperfection, etc ā€“ then more people may be inclined to bid higher. Meaning higher final prices as well. So thereā€™s that.

3 Likes

Trueā€¦ but they donā€™t want you to see any flaws. If they could get away with just showing a scan of the front of the cards, Iā€™m sure they would. lol

Itā€™s really a shame how some of the biggest names in the game treat their customers. The worst offenders are places like Troll and Toad that will list high end cards using stock photos and actually manage to earn more than PSA 8 pricing on cards that would struggle to earn a 7. It doesnā€™t make any sense, but people trust the name so they buy from them rather than some random ebay/social media seller.

To answer the OP, PWCC doesnā€™t not matter as much as you think in the grand scheme of things. Even when they do influence the market positively, thereā€™s always some doubts in mind whether an item was actually purchased or it was just shilled by whoever consigned with them. Thereā€™s always weird bidding behaviour, so I wait at least a month or two to see some legit sales data.

Iā€™ve only purchased 1 card from PWCC that I couldnā€™t pass up on. Like Gary said, the way they do business negatively effects this hobby. I will never buy from PWCC again. I wonā€™t contribute to the 99 cent auction BS. SMPRATTE made a good video about this.

pretty spot on explanationā€¦ can relate to the PSA 9 charizard exampleā€¦ had buyers claiming that pwcc sold them at 4500 and therefore what they ā€œvaluedā€ them at and based their willingness to pay. Fast forward to yesterday where two copies sold for BIN at 5700 and 6000 respectively, with the 6k seller confirming that his copy sold outright with no negotiations to a seller that had the money to spend on whatever necessary to complete his collecting goals.

Read oldscools post above. Heā€™s smarter than me;)

1 Like

At the same time if youā€™re going to sell high end items and want to maximize earnings, you may as well get a 4k camera and do it yourself. A couple hundred for a camera would be a drop in the bucket for some of these sales.

1 Like

Another thing worth mentioning in regards to their ā€˜advertisingā€™ is all their email drops and advertising that I see or receive, even though Iā€™ve only ever bought MTG and pokemon cards from them, are all sports related. I donā€™t ever see pokemon hype or advertising, the only stuff thatā€™s ever in their emails to me are sports cards, I donā€™t think I even saw the full shadowless set in an email to me. Iā€™ve literally never bought sports cards from them (or anyone) and all I get is sports card advertising.

Iā€™ve posted it before (not sure if it was here or one of Scottā€™s videos) but I use PWCC more as a discount store these days. I donā€™t expect things to sell for a premium (sometimes they do, not saying they donā€™t) but most of the tim because theyā€™re listing multiples of the same items you can pick cards up cheap.

So to answer the OPs question, no the market doesnā€™t follow pwcc prices, people might try to get you to sell to them based on their recent prices but most sellers will just hold the card as they can usually get a higher price.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Oh, well I was hoping to learn how you supported your own belief, given that youā€™re such a legend!

Pwcc prices are real when they break new records and fake when they are below expectations (:

P.s. For that chansey, the one that ended lower was a weaker 10, I consciously avoided it to bid for the other one. Although I do agree they shouldnā€™t have been sold at the same auction thereā€™s a reason one went for lower than the other

1 Like

It only seems like a double standard when you donā€™t understand the reasoning. If the market was dictated by the buyers then it would be about getting as much product out the door as possible, and the lower prices would accomplish that goal. If the market is dictated by the sellers itā€™s about maximizing the potential out of your inventory and trying to get the best price out of it. Since they donā€™t print new cards guess which market dictation we have.

Of course you seem to know this. If you didnā€™t the prices in your eBay store would be much lowerā€¦

Unfortunately, thatā€™s why I have minimal to no sold listings, the market doesnā€™t care that I think it should be worth more. Check in a couple of weeks, Iā€™m lowering prices

It depends on what youā€™re selling. If youā€™re selling PSA 10 1st edition base (Charizard, Blastoise) or a rare trophy card, then you can dictate the market as a seller because there arenā€™t other options. If a card has 10+ copies on the market, then the buyer has the luxury of choosing the cheapest price and overpriced cards wonā€™t be bought.

1 Like