How does this happen?

Not exactly sure what is going on with this Ninetales. Purchased a lot and this card was in it, noticed the ink looked removed from the letter E, but the card looks fine in that area, almost like no damage was done. Any idea how the lettering was removed without damaging it? The sheen seems correct in that spot from all light angles, I always thought removing anything would dull it or bring out the holo behind it. Any guesses?

2 Likes

wow very cool to see one again. This is the 2nd time i’ve seen this possible “error” on a base unlim ninetales.

Wasn’t aware that this was a thing, any idea where the other was you saw? I found it somewhat interesting that a no stage Blastoise was also in this lot. Does it have any significance? Doubt it, but made me wonder.

Yea i saw it listed on ebay about 18 months ago when I was searching for the No damage ninetales error, and one just like this was for sale for around $1k If i remember correctly. Not sure if it sold or what happened but I haven’t been able to see or find another like it. But the one i saw was just like this except the “S” wasnt as smudged. But the messed up E was exactly the same.

I recall seeing that one too. Always thought it was way too high for a one off ink error. Maybe it’s not a one off after-all!

3 Likes

Maybe it still is, it just managed to miraculously find its way to @joetehman! :grin:

Ink error?

That lettering wasn’t intentionally removed, looks like a factory printing error, cool find :blush:

1 Like

Guess I’ll pop it up on the eBay for billions!!! Doubt psa will recognize a small ink error, might send it in anyways to keep it preserved, looks like a 7 or 8.

Love these sort of errors!