Stained Jolteon

Hi everyone,

So I found this Jolteon today while sifting through bulk at a local store. It’s got a large pink smear running across the back, and I’m not really sure what to make of it. I thought I’d ask you all if you’ve seen something similar or have any ideas.

I thought at first that maybe it’s some sort of highlighter marking that got sun bleached over time. On the other hand, maybe some of the pink ink used for the red half of the pokeball that ran over as a factory error. Let me know what you think :grimacing:

2 Likes

Fortunately it’s not a valuable card so that damage really doesn’t matter:)

Damage meaning the pink smear? So you think it’s like a marker or something?

It is an printing error, but no holographic and it’s just a Jolteon. Probably still can catch a small premium when sold to the misprint collectors.

1 Like

Neat! I don’t know about selling it, I just wanted to confirm if it was a printing error or something else.

I’m interested to see the zoomed in dot pattern on the back

I’ll try taking some better close-up pictures when I get home later

How are these? About the best I can manage with my phone camera.

1 Like

I would be careful to buy at a premium. A lot of these square cuts/ misprints/ errors can be made pretty easily on purpose or even by accident. If it’s not a common error I would stay away. I hate to be cynical, but I hate even more to see people dropping hundreds of dollars on errors that aren’t authentic.

(100% not accusing you. I work for a printing company and I’m 99% certain that with enough effort I could reproduce the 1st edition stamp or square cuts that could get through PSA. I definitely won’t, but their are definitely more economical people out there.)

1 Like

I gotcha, and I agree. I just thought it was a pretty cool thing to find sitting in a box for who knows how long; I don’t have any preconceptions about its value. It’s because of how easily fabricated things like this can be that I wanted to consult the forum for opinions, but I’m happy to have found it either way.

I dig it! If you wanna sell it let me know!

1 Like

Not unique -I’ve seen a few of them around from the Jungle set. Not very valuable but an interesting error I suppose :blush:

1 Like

Omg, use Oxiclean for stains! On a serious note, an interesting read even though I am not an “error” collector. Error collecting can be scary since @bbqcat mentioned it and not to be cynical either, but I feel like some (if not most) can be fabricated but take it with a grain of salt since I don’t know much about errors.

1 Like

Not close enough unfortunately, you’d need a loupe or microscope I guess.
Most likely something funny happened when the magenta layer was applied.

1 Like

My dad runs a printing company, so I asked him about it. He says he’s seen ink streaks of a solid color similar to this when the press is low on water, which they apparently need enough of to function properly. Maybe it’s something along those lines.

6 Likes