How does PSA crack open their own cases?

I have to bite the bullet and start cracking open some cases for my binder collection. I’ve done this many times with the usual recommended tools and have about a 95% success rate of zero damage. The other 5% something nicks. With low-dollar cards I don’t care, but I’m currently tasked with cracking open PSA 8-9 Gold Stars and 1st Ed. Base Holos, and any damage will be hundreds of dollars worth.

Is there a mini handheld saw, laser cutter, or anything you can picture that would make cracking open cases more efficient and safe? I hope PSA is not using pliers and a screwdriver when they pull out a $100k baseball card to regrade. Surely there is a better method even if far more expensive?

Laser off all 4 sides of the case, then the top should just lift right off.

A band saw might be the best. I’m undecided if face on or side on is better. Using a permanent fence would protect the card.

This is a very solid question but if you really think about it, the premise is flawed. It’s not in PSA’s best interest to disclose their method of cracking the slabs. Admitting to an inelegant method would lead to distrust whereas showcasing a more optimized method would see a further surge in the number of “420crackerinos” by way of imitatio et aemulatio.

meanwhile at PSA**

15 Likes

It’s in PSA’s best financial interest for people to crack a card and resubmit it. They get paid twice to grade a single card.

3 Likes

Don’t they loose hundreds by cracking them? Graded is worth more than raw.

Well, I can always regrade them. But the point is to fit them into my binder. Unfortunately with things like 1st Ed. base it’s extremely difficult to get mint raw cards, and ends up easier to just buy PSA 8/9.

I know what you mean. Finding good energy cards can be difficult at times.

How’s it hard to find 8/9 quality raw?
Just send me the graded and I’ll send you guaranteed same Condition raw.

1 Like

How’s it hard to find 1st edition holos raw in 8/9 quality? I would assume most in that condition either have been, or are in the process of being graded.