HELP - These packs look resealed... What do you think???

Hey everyone!

I won at auction some packs on eBay of fossil 1st edition and when I open the envelope the first thing that I noticed was that they look a bit loose, compared to what I am used too. Also they have small holes in several parts of the wrapper (not only on the borders) and quite big ones(around 7-8 on the worst booster however all follow the same pattern). On top of these I see the Zigzag mark on the seal on the back, which I read/saw somewhere that it meant that they were tampered with. Here are the photos:

ibb.co/dyxuXv
ibb.co/iaxHkF
ibb.co/ed4Kza
ibb.co/eRvgCv
ibb.co/gV8OQF

Sorry I cannot make the direct link open :slightly_frowning_face:

What do you guys think? I am leaning to return them

Cheers and thanks!

They look fine to me but why are you buying loose packs? Unless it’s for a Pack collection, you’re just asking for trouble.

Do you think so? Is the zigzag seal and such big holes normal? Also I feel the wrap so loose when I compare to the base set packs I have.

Yeah it’s for my pack collection :grin: and they went for bellow 20$ so I thought why not :blush:

Packs do have small holes in them to prevent them for blowing apart when pressurized (e.g. on airplane)
WotC glue is known for having issues when stored in hot dry climate, although I don’t know if this applies to Pokemon products in same way as MtG.

If you just going to grabbed them for sealed pack collection, it’s all fine I would say.

When I compare to the 2 jungle ones that came the seal is different. Even when I compare to the top left fossil pack:

Also just notice this on the jungle pack:

Looks like it was wrongly cut… Maybe a scizor and resealed?

Packs are a tricky thing. Seals are different on many packs within the same series. Recently I found this old lot of packs I hadn’t seen in 15 years. I don’t recall where I got them and I never weighed a pack in my life. So are there 100 holos or zero holos? I have no idea but would be hesitant to sell them.

Just send them over and I’ll check for you. :grin:

@garyis2000 would you be willing to sell some blister to me knowing I don’t mind if they’re weighed or not?

I have a bunch of jungle blister packs that look like that. Jungle very often has janky seals like that for some reason, most likely not a sign of tampering.

1 Like

@garyis2000 Yeah I understand it might be different seals and wrappers and color variations. But all of this feels fishy to me. I wouldn’t mind getting 2 jungle and 4 fossil 1st edition from you after returning these ones.

It sure feels weird, the looseness of the fossil and the weird cut on the top of the jungles ones

Really? Good news then :grin:

These are the ones in that box but not sure I’ll sell any. Maybe the whole box;)

1 Like

even with the harshest of quality controle, no 2 packs are gonna look EXACTLY the same. I’m familiar with the way these things are packaged working at a factory myself where they package things in a similar way. I can guarantee you even taking 5 consequetive packs from the assembly lines, they will have differences because getting a completely straight “cut” at the edges of the packs is actually pretty hard to get. It’s usually not really noticeable but even the slightest thing can knock off the alignment so it may seem a bit weird. Doesn’t mean it’s tampered with at all.

And yeah there are a bunch of packaging lines that are specifically designed to punch tiny holes in the wrappers. It’s a normal thing, even with food packaging like what I work with. It’s the same principle. Though unlike with older stuff, nowadays there’s no such thing as “glue” for packages like these XD Since I still hear a lot of people say stuff about how the “glue” is too strong on some packs but there’s no glue, those things are sealed using heat. It’s molten together.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the info:)

Thank you everyone!