[Help] Mold growing on 1st ed base set zard...in a psa case

Killing it isn’t going to remove it from the case.

It’s better to have dead mold remains in your case rather than active mold spores growing on your $6K card.

how do i do that

It’s not a $6k card with mold in it, whether it’s dead or live. Needs to be cracked, cleaned and resubmitted while your fingers are crossed that any damage is minimal. That or into my binder.

Not a 5k card either

1 Like

Buy/order a UV-C lamp. Plug it in. Expose the back of the card for a few hours. The mold spores should die off and detach. They’ll just be dust in the case. I would then send the card in to get re-cased.

Then, keep the card out of any humidity whatsoever. Buy a clamshell case with an O-ring seal from a brand like Pelican. Keep your card in there with humidity indicators. Swap them out regularly. If you live in a tropical climate, keep the card sealed in the case with humidity packets then put the case inside a ziploc bag with more packets. If you decide not to recase the card with PSA, you’ll want to check the card regularly to make sure new spores don’t grow. I would expose the card to light regularly.

2 Likes

Wow…what excellent advice. I would follow exactly this.

This is scary…

2 Likes

Yeah awesome advice Switch! I’ll follow it

Any suggestions for a lamp? this is embarassing

would sth like the below work? or any other suggestion. i have no experience with UV-C…

www.lazada.sg/products/e27-shoes-boot-uv-medical-sterilizer-dryer-warmer-deodorizer-dehumidify-i268894562-s417585256.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.2.3f0a39a1B3fyXx&search=1

www.lazada.sg/products/maxoak-food-storage-containers-with-deep-uvc-sanitizer-heachips-sterilization-box-food-fruit-vegetables-sealed-box-sterilization-for-baby-care-toy-clothes-beauty-cleaning-products-intl-i256370122-s398502369.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.44.1d4c3faaMsKnwd&search=1

feel like i should do it for every single card worth more than 1k

Would be the greatest Christmas miracle.

I’ve decided to sell it and have a peaceful christmas and new years lol, will just sell at a discount and someone else can arbitrage it instead…too much work

but i’ve learnt a lot and will be buying the UVC lamp for the rest of my cards, just in case…

merry christmas everybody and thank you for the guidance!

2 Likes

The fact you took the time to make a thread and disclose this is already more than most sellers would do! I would just show photos and describe the damage. That is the most you can do as a seller!

3 Likes

The mold is likely eating the paint. If you wipe the mold off that spot, its prob a lighter blue. I dont see why this wouldnt be covered by PSA though. Have them wipe the damn mold off and reslab it with the same grade. And if they want to downgrade the 9 to an 8, then they can cover the difference.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s good that you took time to ask for advice, but did you even bother to call PSA OP?

I’m still curious where it might come from… Dirty fingers handling the card or is it crazy humid in Singapore or something?

Edit: Wow 70-80% average humidity… That’s not good. Do you have a dehumidifier at home? PSA cases are water resistant, but not exactly waterproof. You’ll want to keep your cards in a dry in environment and as cool as possible.

1 Like

PSA paying out on this? Nice thought but as much chance of succeeding as a snowball thriving in a campfire. Don’t waste your time:(

3 Likes

Yes, but don’t use the word “mold” or you’ll die. Show detailed pictures as Scott said. After all, maybe it’s a fuzz ball?

1 Like

Too late Gary, I’ve told the whole world. If anything I’ve been stressing and double confirming to every individual buyer that expressed interest that it’s mold on the card, think it’s the right thing to do

How can I be a jerk to others (you would know, lol) asking for the whole truth for card condition when buying and only disclose selective truths when selling…

Rather take the 1k usd hit or so and preserve my credibility in the hobby

My point was…and if it’s a fuzz ball? After all, In all my years I’ve never heard of mold in a PSA case.

I’m celebrating Christmas eve with family on Monday and flying to Denmark (+ Austria +Poland) for end year holidays and do not want to be distracted haha, start the new year mold and worry free! Not gonna be on the phone on Christmas eve discussing this with PSA when I can spend it with family

It’s probably humidity, I do have a dehumidifier at home and this is legit the first time I’ve seen mold in my room in my 18 years at this place, but I stored it in a lionsgood box like the rest of my collection so quite surprised

I was up till 5am last night inspecting every single card in my collection…no mold. The perfect fit sleeve the charizard was in was mold free, and so was the case cover. It was probably a spore that was inside during the encapsulation process and the stale air in a full lionsgood box killed it.

Fyi I’m now the proud owner of a Akarui Digi dry cabinet and a small carton of alcohol swabs (:

1 Like

Gary you don’t understand my luck (: I got a tumor that was 1 in ~3 million as a kid, got a 1 in 1 million+ reaction to general anasthesia drugs during its removal, and other stories I can share with you when I’m in Vegas

1 Like