Mould in PSA case

Hey guys!

Just bought a psa graded card a couple of weeks ago which arrived in the mail today. There is a tiny mould spot on the back of the card, which was clearly not there on the photos of the listing. Therefore I assume that the mould build during the shipping (maybe a very humid storage somewhere or something of that sort) Do you have any idea how I might get rid of it again without breaking the card out of the case? I remember a thread from a few years ago where this was discussed as well, but can not seem to find it. Any help appreciated!

Could you post a photo of how does it look like?

2 Likes

I suppose it could be possible that the photos that the seller used were old photos, maybe when he first had it graded or bought it himself.

From a quick google search - “Mold can easily grow within 1-2 days. From there, it will begin to colonize in as little as 2-12 days. After the colonization period, mold can become visible to the human eye in an additional 10-12 days. This means that mold is typically a problem long before it is noticeable to home and business owners”

I’m not sure if you would be able to remove it from within a PSA case as usually you have to be able to wipe it off with something after drying it out but i hope you can sort it out… Mind if you post a picture of the card?

1 Like

It was my psa 9 1st ed zard. I sold it and the guy got it recased by psa

In the interim, put your card out in the sun, and store it in an airtight box with lots of silica to keep it super dry. The mold should shrink a little.

2 Likes

I still didn´t figure out how to directly post them here, but here is the imgur link!
imgur.com/a/NEPEdzk

Might very well be Pikachu, didn´t think about that!

1 Like

@shadowless, I would recase

2 Likes

Do you know if they would get rid of it or if they just slab it again with the mould? I´d definitely recase if they remove it.

@shadowless, ahh true thought it was on the case, if it is on the card that is trickier as PSA won’t get rid of it. If it bothers you crack it open, clean and resubmit. Otherwise you can try to eliminate the mold while it is in the case but it seems that anything that would work outside plastic would damage the card also.

2 Likes

Thanks shizzle! That’s along the lines what I thought too, I’ll let it in the sun a bit, maybe it helps to at least stop it from growing further. As I’m in Europe, the whole cracking, resubmitting thing is quite a hassle for me. I should mention that the card is pretty valuable (low pop 10)
@sgbased do you know if psa did anything about the mould when recasing it?

I think psa cleaned it during the recasing process? Saw the recased card and it looked great

It wasn’t cracked and resubmitted…don’t do that lol. Just send it for psa to recase and let them know whats the issue

1 Like

I would also like to add that the mould’s base was on the case rather than the card, so there was little to no damage on the card

1 Like