Has anyone experienced drastic PSA inconsistencies?

Each time I submit cards, I thoroughly inspect all cards and write down my own estimated grades. I’ve done this for 4 orders each with around 25 cards per order (say 100 total). Out of the 100 cards, my estimate matched PSA’s grade a majority of the time and if not an exact match, my estimate was off by 1 grade. I was never off by more than 1 grade.

I received grades back today where two cards that I estimated to grade 10 were graded 6 and 7. Additionally, many of the cards that I estimated to grade 9, came back as 8. This is a drastic difference between my estimates.

Did I somehow miss something on every card I submitted this time? Or was it inconsistent grading? I truly believe it’s inconsistent grading. I guess I will find out when the cards arrive.

This is a good reason to take very detailed pictures before and after sending. I have submitted maybe 100 cards total as well and have found that I am almost never off by more than 1 when estimating grades. I would be very wary if I had predicted a 9-10 and got back a 6-7. Do you have pictures of the cards you’re most concerned about?

If it’s not a misgrade, there’s surely some surface damage you didn’t spot… Hopefully it wasn’t done by them. Accidents do happen.

Do you take pictures of your cards before you send them?

On the 6 or maybe 7, it’s easy to overlook a binder dent.
Sometimes a grader could be a little inconsistent but considering a million+ cards a year get graded they do very well.
I would give myself more time to judge your pre-grading expertise. 4 orders isn’t enough. I’ve done hundreds so I’m pretty good now;)

Show your results on the Great Grading Result Thread.

1 Like

I may have pictures of a few, but for most of them I don’t. It’s strange because I was spot on for around 100 previous cards. I also paid higher prices because both I and the seller believed the cards to be PSA 9-10. It’s discouraging.

I hear what you’re saying, but it’s strange that I predicted PSA’s grade exactly for at least 50/100 cards and was only off by 1 grade at most for the rest. For this order, the grades were lower than I predicted for almost every card. It just seems to be a drastic difference.

I’ll post them once I receive them even though they don’t quality as “great” lol.

Hey, the thread is Great and everybody’s cards are great;)

1 Like

Hey Gary, I was actually curious if you ever sent in that PSA 7 Shadowless Charizard that looked quite Mint, almost Gem Mint except for a minor centering issue. If so, do you have an update for us? Thanks. :blush:

I recently sent personal cards for grading. These were pack fresh and have been in a sleeve. They were unplayed.
Although most graded 9-10 with a free 8s, I’m curious how one graded a “5”. I should receive it tomorrow so I’m curious as to what led to that grade.

Usually mint looking cards that surprise you with a 5 or a 6 are due to a corner ding or a micro crease somewhere.

2 Likes

Keep me updated. I’ll let you know why mine got a 6 when I thought it would be 10. We must have missed something…

Yeah. That was just a mistake. I’ve never had a cleaner base Holo. They wouldn’t let that centering go even though I think it hit 60/40?
Here it is:

1 Like

This was the ‘worst’ corner lol

It was originally graded a 7?

Yes but it was just a typo. The card is flawless.

Do they allow up to 60/40 on both directions, or are they looking for an average centering closer to 45/55?

Also Top/Bottom offcentering looks less bad imo, keeps symmetry.

This should help explain it:

forums.collectors.com/discussion/897961/a-guide-to-centering

I had it 42/58 and hypernova had it 43/57 from top to bottom(pixel counting). It’s not an exact science like measuring a card in person on a flat surface, but it makes you wonder if PSA does bother doing such a thing.

I notice the same thing with BGS where an exactly same centering gets a subgrade of 8-9, which can effect the overall grade so much. That’s why I’m so in favour of these companies investing in equipment that can instantly spot trimming and determine exact centering on each card. There’s no way they spend 15 seconds measuring each card in a bulk order, which is most of the time they even have to give their overall grade.

By the way, I never saw a Pokemon card with a 60/40 centering get a 10… but if you ask me, I prefer that than some of the super weak 10s I see all day long with actual wear or damage on the card.

So I got the package yesterday and quickly inspected the cards. As far as this grade of 5, it was quite easy to see why.There is apparently a crease on the bottom of the card by the illustrator’s name. Now these cards were pack fresh and immediately placed in a sleeve immediately after I opened the packs many moons ago. These were unplayed and inspected before submitting them. I’ll consider this as a loss for me since I can’t prove that it didn’t leave my hands in this condition. I didn’t think I needed to make a video detailing the condition of my cards for commons/uncommons from this set, but this is something I’ll do from now on.

1 Like

Seems like overkill to call it EX with just a tiny little crease.

1 Like