Hard Storage Box/Cases?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been trying to dig around online and find suggestions on cases to store sets of cards in. Unfortunately I’m not coming up with much outside of standard white cardboard boxes. What I’m looking for is more of a suitcase style contraption with either locks built into it or the ability to place a lock on it. Multiple divisions to keep cards in rows and enough space for everything to be in toploaders. My collection is reaching a value point where I don’t feel comfortable storing them in binders anymore and I’d really like to find something more durable.

Any help?

Haha I have been doing similar research. Here is what I came up with.

www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-Graded-Card-Storage-Holder-Container-Black-Box-Holds-60-Graded-Cards/222477772892?hash=item33ccb5685c:rk:1:pf:0

or more heavy duty:

www.etsy.com/listing/484385055/card-storage-box-display-case-graded?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-art_and_collectibles-collectibles-memorabilia-sports_collectibles-other&utm_custom1=ff5a99d4-1c02-4fce-9c53-1842d46da015&utm_content=go_304499435_48303296328_196679360316_aud-301856855998:pla-314954652453_c__484385055&gclid=CjwKCAiAo8jgBRAVEiwAJUXKqMMVHWYRbONP7RWDay7wOfx9uHGlZA25TyVOuIzaIPshoyoYpFyE-hoC3rYQAvD_BwE

The second link is basically what I was looking for, but that $90 price for an Etsy item…

Before anyone goes and buys from that ebay reseller, PSA sells those same boxes for $7:

www.psacard.com/store/p-54-psa-storage-boxes.aspx

Also, this box seems to get a lot of love all around (out of stock direct right now):

www.liongoods.com/products/graded-gard-storage-box-psa-bgs?variant=11957534151

I don’t have one (shoeboxes are working for the time being :wink:) but have been thinking about getting some for my graded cards

Here’s what I suggest taking a look at (warning, the website is not very professional, but the products are solid)
www.collectiblestorage.com/index.htm
I made a review a while back about my model 300 as well:

That would probably be what you want to go with, I can give you advise on locks as well for the case if you like. Or if you think going with something like a safe might be a better idea just let me know and i can help you there as well!

I don’t know how achievable of an idea this is but a box made of like 1/8 inch steel or a similar thickness would be the only way to really eliminate threat. It would have to be severely grinded on or cut with a cutting wheel to open. That lock box That was linked could be cut open in seconds with a circular saw or a sawzaw or even a handsaw. And those locks could be snipped very simply too. It looked real nice though! Just random thoughts! Imagine the killer arm work out of lugging a heavy duty steel box around!

So that 90.00 case is what you’re looking for but you don’t want to pay the going rate? You’ll have to lower your expectations then.

It’s not the price that bothers me here. After all, we’re sinking thousands of dollars into collectibles, so clearly I’m fine paying for something of quality, but I’d rather it come from a larger store. I don’t have any experience with Etsy and there’s only one review that I can see.

Agreed.

Think of a security container/box/safe as an investment for your collection. You’ve amassed thousands of dollars in cards but don’t want to put up less than $100 to protect that investment not to mention time spent? I think you need to look at what you really want from protection, and then price the market accordingly. Security is not an area that is cheap, but very much worth the investment.

If you want something more “brand name” you can opt for a fire chest or mobile safe (horrible invention, but works for some).

Again, I think you need to look at WHAT you want your protection to do for you. I do offer consultations on safes/security in general for collectables (entirely free services by the way). Should you want to reach out.

Guys… again, it’s not the price. I just don’t feel comfortable buying them when 1) it’s a small dealer/seller on Etsy, 2) there aren’t many in stock, 3) only one review that I can see. I’m fine paying $100 or whatever it costs, but I’d rather it come from a larger store.

You can find some those pelican cases on eBay here: www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=card+storage+case+pelican&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=0&_odkw=card+storage+case

1 Like

The Pelican cases are nice. They are waterproof and crushproof. You can even custom design the foam inside to fit your exact needs.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Lionsgoods Cases bc they are space efficient. They don’t last a long time (about 15% are damaged beyond repair). They are good if you’re stacking them up to 3 high & not moving them around much. On a typical closet shelf, I can fit 12 which is 3 cases by 4 cases or 48in x 18in (lxh).

Long term, I’d like a more formal display. For now, they keep the cards safe with taking up the least amount of room possible. I also bought these at his lowest price point which was ~$25/each for the “imperfect” ones. They hold 130ish PSA cards each.

1 Like

Worrying about how easy it is to break into anything less than 100 lbs is futile. Anything < 100lbs or honestly even a bit more hefty than that if the burglar has a buddy simply becomes a burglar convenience box in the event of a break in and they will simply lug it off site and crack it with an arsenal of tools. Hell even most 300-500lb “safes” or more appropriately residential security containers (RSC’s) can be bested by a handy burglar with a 4 foot crow bar and 10 minutes of time on their hands.

Decided to give this one a shot:

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192386756949

I get giddy when I see language and terminology regarding safes. I hope the articles I’ve written previously help spread awareness on this.

But to your post, yes, the issue with the pelican brand cases are they are easy to get into regardless. However, if you just want something to protect from drops, falls, dust, water, pets and other daily “incidents” pelican style cases are decent alternatives to a hard safe.

I would love to see a follow up on your thoughts for that case!

I ran an SKBi series case for years and it did exactly what I needed it to do. Still have mine in case I need to transport cards ever.

Think your average burglar knows the price of PSA graded Pokemon Cards? I hope not.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to post a follow up review post/thread. A lot of these have been sold and the seller had great feedback, so I’m really pumped to get this in.