Great Loss Thread 2

Wanted to revive this thread. What has been your regret/bad pickup in Pokémon?

3 Likes

Buying Yokohama worlds decks when it first released :melting_face:

8 Likes

Shining fates from gamestop at release. It was not hidden fates pt2.

7 Likes

no, it was not, nor is paldean fates going to be

1 Like

If your guy’s biggest losses was like $30 off msrp on a booster box you’re doing just fine lol

33 Likes

I actually had no clue, so I checked some purchases and here’s the worst according to PSA’s (awful) market value metric.

2006 POKEMON JAPANESE PROMO 031 LUGIA EX-HOLO 4TH SEASON SUBSCRIPTION PSA 10

Purchase Price: $1,185.25

PSA’s Market Value: $825.25

Loss: -$360.00

5 Likes

Not biggest or worst, just most regretful off the top of my head. It also sucks to be constantly reminded about overpaying when shops are still selling etbs for $30 years later.

2 Likes

Also using the same market value metric as @Dyl:

1998 POKEMON JAPANESE VENDING | SERIES III #25 OOYAMA’S PIKACHU PSA 5

Purchase Price (Raw + grading): $148

PSA’s Market Value: $17

Loss: -$131 (-88.8%)

This is totally my fault for underestimating the surface wear on the card. It had a minor scratch and seller even had a million clear photos of it, probably going to be a binder card at some point lol.

7 Likes

“i’m never gonna make the same mistake again”

2 years later:

40 Likes

I would guess i’ve spent at least an extra £600 on the raichu mission than needed.

Oh that’s a card that hasn’t been available yet,better buy it right away

2 weeks later there’s another for half what I paid.

5 Likes

Sometimes you have to be the one to tempt others out of the woodwork :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Some of the bigger ones:

Sold:
9K card collection sold for 3.7K (before fees) (3 years later)
3.3K card bought - sold for 1.5K (before fees) (3 years later)

Kept:
8.6K card worth about 3.7K now. (3 years later)
8K card worth about 3.7K now. (3 years later)
10K card worth about 3.7K now. (3 years later)
2.7K card worth 1K now. (3 years later)

I would argue that opening any packs after sword & shield is even worse. For example, I’m pretty sure for every 3K worth I opened at best is worth 1K.

Every slab purchased after November 2020 is a loss. But I sold a majority of them and purchased cards that I would have paid 3x before. Could call it a trade. I’ve been saved by my original WOTC cards from back in the day I graded after the boom which I’ve also sold.

6 Likes

A few:

• Openning packs (a few ETBs and several packs from LGS). Not a lot of money but just a reminder that openning packs = lose money 99.7% of the time.
  • Buying a PSA 8 Tekno Topps Metapod for 450 euros, right now PSA 10 is less than that.
  • Buying a case of Evolving Skies for around 600 euros after shipping+taxes and selling it for around 750 a few months before the boom.
  • Buying singles in Ebay auctions from Japanesse sellers (Ninja among others). Buyee is my new friend and I could have saved tons of euros. At least I learned how to properly protect the cards for shipping.
  • Not keeping my childhood collection well protected (from 1999 onwards). This really hurts.
4 Likes

What were the cards you kept and sold that went down?

1 Like

This is what this thread was made for :eyes:

4 Likes

How much did you buy it for?:smile: I remember a release price of around 250€. Checking for ebay prices here in Europe the sold listings are still around 220€ ish.

1 Like

Bought a played FPO Charizard back in 2018 for $750.
I probably could have spent that money on much wiser purchases back then :sleeping:

It is still, I believe, the most money I have paid for a card…

3 Likes

Bought two card during Covid when I was FOMOing really bad

-a creased unlimited Blaine’s Charizard for 230$, now I can almost have a PSA8 for that, and a PSA5 is like 130$ (-50% or more)
-same for Cd Charizard, I panicked and forgot how common it was and I ended up paying a lot, even without considering shipping from japan and custom duties

Tldr: FOMO is bad, thanks god I didn’t have more money to throw away.

3 Likes

Bought a PSA 9 Masaki Alakazam for $750 and have seen it sell as low as $500. Bought the other Masaki cards in PSA 9 at $400 as well and they seem to be in the 200-300 range now,

Don’t have the Gengar yet but hoping to snag it around $1200.

I didn’t buy many cards over $100 during pandemic highs so the above is what I bought in the past few months. While they took a hit since I’ve bought they are a lot more affordable than pandemic highs.

In some ways I lost out on potential gains like I already have many PSA 9 wotc holo pre-covid that shot up a couple hundred percent but fell upwards to 50% of peak. Probably a lot of collectors like that here.

3 Likes

I sold an evolving skies booster box for like $200 because I truly thought it would be reprinted. Very shortly after they shot up to the current $400 price. That’s probably the worst I’ve done in this hobby so far.

4 Likes