Gold Star Dogs PSA

So I’ve been trying to complete my Gold Star Collection and its time to look into the three legendary dogs. Only three months ago PSA 10 were $120 or less, but now they are all pushing $200+. Given the print run issues with these what do you think an appropriate price is to pick them up at?

This is merely speculation and my own personal opinion but I would pay next to nothing for these cards. There is a massive hidden supply of mint copies that will be slowly dripping into the market. My understanding is that their distribution is being controlled but eventually there will be a saturation of these cards and not enough demand to meet the supply (i.e. further drop in price). Most pokemon cards will see a slow climb in value over time, but I think these are an exception.

Again, this is speculation on my part. I may be overestimating the number of shady copies that exist. If you do want a complete gold star collection, I’d save these for last because I think they will favour the patient.

Surely there is a price worth picking them up at though right now. If I can get them sub $60 in a 9 is it worth it? Who knows how long if ever this market event will take place.

If you need these cards right now, whatever the current market price is will be the appropriate price. Having insider knowledge won’t reduce the market value of the cards. If the cards were selling publicly for $x and you wanted to by them for $(x/2) off me because of the insider knowledge we have, there’s no sense for me to sell them at x/2 when I can sell them for x.

If you want to take advantage of the knowledge you have about the cards, the only thing you can do is wait until you think the cards have hit rock-bottom prices.

Like @pkmnflyingmaster said, they should be the last ones in your list. I’m not trying to sound like an asshole but implying “if ever this market event will take place” makes you sound unaware of what truly happened with the Gold Star Dogs. This thread should help you get more informed as to what went down. www.elitefourum.com/t/mystery-of-the-entei-suicune-and-raikou-goldstars/13863/1

There is a reason why they are cheapest gold stars, they are overly saturated and the market is controlled by one seller alone who acquired them all illegally. Not only he acquired them illegally, he has scammed several members of the forum. Hope this helps!

I’m very much aware of the situation. From what I had heard he doesn’t even possess them anymore, he sold them to a large retailer who may be the ones sitting on them. Despite this the prices continue to climb on them. If they play it right the prices will continue to rise even after starting to release their stock into the open market. This could happen tomorrow, next year, or 5 years from now. No one can say.

What I was trying to explain is that this “market event” that you referred to is influenced by the seller and, as a result, is not indicative of the actual demand of the card. If there is an attachment to the cards and you don’t mind seeing the significant price fluctuation, I would advice you to buy them. You just have to keep in mind that the changes will always be affected on whoever is sitting on that pile.

Alright I’ll see if I can get my hands on copies on the low end of the current price range. Hopefully they continue to rise long enough that if the market does get flooded with them in the future the price depreciation doesn’t surpass what I pay for them at this point in time.

1 Like

It is my understanding at this time that the “gold star hoard” that most people are familiar with has already been rolled over into the market.

So whatever saturation you’re seeing now is the saturation that is to come of it. It would make sense, if this is true, that the price is now starting to work back up.

2 Likes