Gold Star Charizard PSA grade?

Hi guys,

Last post in relation to help with grading - thanks for the help on the Neo Scizor thread, I’d have never have known it was an error card without you!

I’ve got this Gold Star Charizard which I’m thinking about sending to be graded however I’m finding it pretty difficult to tell what sort of grade it may achieve! The holo doesn’t seem easy to identify scratches on like WOTC cards, I guess with the holo being black it is harder to tell. Could any of you who have this card or are knowledgeable on grading help me out with a potential grade please?

Thanks in advance!

Some pretty noticeable scratches there. Maybe it could get a PSA 7?

By the way, suggestion for the mods - can we make a Mega “What grade do you think my card will get?” thread. @fourthstartcg @milhouse

8 Likes

It is very difficult to grade a card from pictures. There can be a lot of hidden issues that we can’t see, so take this with a grain of salt as the grade may be lower.

Just from what I can see on the back, I would think it would be an 8 max. But I’ve seen better PSA 7s and worse PSA 9s, so I think you’ll likely be in the 7-9 range.

Edit: @hyruleguardian We’ll see what we can do. Personally I don’t think a megathread would be useful because it is literally impossible to provide an accurate grade estimate from pictures, and endorsing the practice of grade-estimation with a pinned megathread may not be overly useful when that megathread spot could be given to something else (e.g. simple question, simple answer megathread, price check megathread, PSA as a whole megathread)

3 Likes

I would say 7 but I got a 6 though with a dark charizard holo on my return yesterday that honestly looks better than this. I might regrade though but yeah don’t be surprised with a 6 I guess.

surface on this card looks pretty rough microdented\stained whatever it is, so i’m gonna say 6~ maybe even lower.
based on what i can’t see.

Looks like a 7-8 based on these pictures

Thats a 7-8 unless that mark by the flames is a indent or puncture mark. If thats the case it will be a 6

Agreed with others, 7 most likely from what we can see

Looks like a PSA 6-8 to me, I would guess 7.

psa 6 or 7. psa 7 if the surface of the holo and card are perhaps cleaner than some of the pictures make them look. based on the back edge wear alone I don’t see how it could get an 8

In my experience, that back is easily good enough to get at least an 8 and possibly a 9 if the front of a card is clean.

Anyone else look at the back of cards first when inspecting the condition?

3 Likes

Yes. I’m quite sure that most of us look for the whitening on the back of the card first. It’s easy to spot and will generally give you a pretty good idea of the condition of the card.

If anything, people make the mistake of paying too much attention to the back of the card and not enough attention to the other details of the card. Imperfections on the surface can be harder to spot from pictures, but they take a lot away from the overall appeal and the grade of the card. Which is why people say it’s tough to grade cards based on photos.

3 Likes

PSA 5-6 imo

I wonder if we should reply with the word, “Ludkins” for all these posts since they pre-grade :blush:

Thanks for the information everyone - I’ll send it in and see how it turns out :blush:

When you get your card back 5 years from now you should definitely bump this thread so we can all see who was right.

1 Like

Doesn’t look much worse than my PSA 8 tbh. Assuming no dents or major scratches. Lol @ a PSA 5 response and lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: at waiting five years. That backlog…

Honestly…this card has a 0% chance of getting a PSA 8. Still worth grading though, good luck to the OP.

2 Likes

Deal!
̶S̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶l̶t̶d̶o̶w̶n̶