Generations booster box?

Picked up something cool! As you may, or may not know, when XY Generations was released you could not get the set in a booster box. So what is this? This (rumor has it) was a prototype or just a thank you given out to The Pokemon Company employees. After taking a chance on this one I found on Ebay im confident it is not a fake knock off…the box is plane white with no text anywhere and does in fact contain generations booster packs. Ive only ever heard second hand information about the origins of these boxes however, and as you can imagine not a lot of information is out there. I recall a Derium’s video way back where they mentioned this box existing, as well as this thread that was posted on here: www.elitefourum.com/t/generations-booster-boxes/17269/1

This video also shows another box, however im very hesitant to believe the author’s claims……. www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SE5pL4xUo

Has anyone else run across one of these before or have any information that has any credentials? Generations got me back into the hobby, and i love the set. i’m trying to gather more concrete evidence either way surrounding this oddity.

Ebay listing for mine I purchased: www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Generations-Blank-Booster-Box-REALLY-RARE-/352448962932?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=w1m%252BytsSg%252Fev12I0xvKr6gW%252B1zo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

2 Likes

Very interesting and thanks for sharing with the added article. I am surprised they would go for $300+ as even with little background that is risky, especially since it seems like that would be easy to reproduce. As they mentioned on E4 (think it was milhouse), unsure of the value spiking on a plain white box, but I am never surprised on anything that happens in Pokemon. I am sorry not to shed light on it, but I hope that someone can give you better insight or additional information since that post.

1 Like

Whether this is real or not I would not be able too judge, but I have my doubts,

However failing that, this box would be relatively easy to reproduce, therefore even if a select few do exist their actual extra value could be deemed nil by just few reproductions,

For me too, many Pokemon retailers out there nowadays and Generations is a set your still able to pick up today easily, might have just been a way of moving stock, maybe mislead with a bit of information coming from ‘Pokemon staff’,

I could be totally wrong but for the additional value this collectible is demanding it’s needs verification of origin and a unique stamp or wrapping wouldn’t have gone a miss,

My thoughts, feel free too disagree! :grin:

Just curious why people think this would be easy to reproduce? @cljdavis and @teamrocketop

I mean where would someone start? Say you have 36 loose generations packs. What next? Hell even if someone had 36 loose say flashfire packs as well as a mint condition empty box I’d say it would be quite difficult to reproduce. There would clearly be a premium there and so an opportunity for scum to capitalize on. If it were easy then we’d see a lot of loose pack sellers start sealing up empty boxes to regain the premium. Hell they could put 36 light packs in too or just junk resealed packs in. I mean it has happened before but it isn’t widespread and I can’t say it would be easy.

I bid on on of these a while back and ended up missing out. Cool item and I don’t question the validity of it at all really. Seemingly a pretty niche item and I don’t know how I’d expect value to pan out over time but it surely has gone up since I last bid on one apparently.

3 Likes

Missed bidding on this around the time generations released, wasn’t sure if it was legit or not, but its pretty cool.

Definitely legit, I had spoke to another party that owned one. It seemed from the direction that individual was speaking on, the box they purchased was someone at the factory messing around and building what they determined would be a ‘prototype’ booster box. These blank cases more than likely are just stripped early in production before the coloring additions and then continued in the process.

Now if it said ‘Generations Prototype 1/10’ in embedded lettering on the cardboard with the pokeball seal, that is easily a high premium. It would have been awesome to see a pattern like this throughout all of pokemon as then owning a ‘steam siege’ booster box could have actually provided some value haha.

1 Like

Oh so it was yourself that purchased the one on ebay, went up a few times

1 Like

Just to quick note on reproduction - obviously can’t walk into the local Tesco/Wal Mart and reproduce but I reckon doable,

You’d need correct dimension for a white box, folded and cut correctly, I could order these from a box wholesaler relatively easily,

Pokemon Seal from a genuine booster box to ‘re-seal’

36 loose Generations boosters,

And you near enough have the same product,

As I say I definitely could be wrong but for an item like this I would love some sort of origin authenticity.

1 Like

It seems the people around here think faking product is as glamorous and easy as Hollywood makes “hacking” scenes look in the movies.

In reality, it is way more difficult if not impossible If you have the skills and resources to make a good fake product, you could be making a lot of money doing anything else.

1 Like

I just question how you could ever get away with boxing up multiple sets of packs in a blank box without getting caught. In my expeience in a factory setting you’d have probably 10 people watching you do this across multiple machines. One box? Maybe, but I’ve seen three now…that’s getting a little hard to believe to me at least. Ontop of that the OP on the other E4 post claimed to see them in the offices of employees.

I’ve never questioned the manufacturer of these boxes (especially after buying this one and physically holding it) Its just the question of how they were given out, weather on a whim of a single person or on a corporate level as a gift.

Yes the one pictured I purchased. I payed $450, I think another has sold for around $415 as well. Worth the risk and discussion to try to get to the bottom of its origins IMO.

I dont plan to sell, and I’m not trying to hype it up…i honestly love the set and the curiosity of this mystery box.

3 Likes

The reason why I think this, its not about the packs. You can put resealed packs or w/e you want in it. I was just saying the plain white box could be easily made with “Pokemon” labeled wrap. Scum could capitalize on it as you say since you don’t question the validity of the item. Their was a huge thread where people were arguing about the validity of a card that some guy bought (I forget now). An example, if I took this to court, I would need concrete evidence or this booster box is null and void. I read the article that was posted about this box. Nothing wrong with people questioning a plain white box if their is no true source. Just like in college, people keep arguing opinions, but its just that, opinions. I need an official source or Nintendo telling me this box is legit. If I didn’t question the validity of things and take everything at face value then I am the one getting scammed by the scum.

EDIT: Don’t take this like im knocking on this item cuz we are in a sensitive society… to each their own. I like to show off my collection, as far as this goes, legit as people say it is, its a boring item but interesting story to me… its just an opinion.

“EDIT: Don’t take this like im knocking on this item cuz we are in a sensitive society.”

Haha…this is the truest thing that’s been listed here maybe ever.

5 Likes

Dont worry, I work in a steel mill. I’m not soft lol

2 Likes

We’ll be going to Mars soon so assuredly we can dupe that box. The main question I have is…why? Is there any serious profit in it?

Just do us a favor and buy another then open it lol jk

1 Like

Exactly.

I’d love to see a few of these people claiming it’s so easy to give it a try and post their results. They would be laughable at best.

Ill send a picture to China, should have a few million sold tomorrow lol. If idiots are buying custom galaxy 1st edition charizards, I am sure they would buy it. It would be a fallacy to say that it “cant” be reproduced. Maybe its not easy to reproduce, but its not like it can’t be done.

People are saying it could be faked. Sure, it’s possible. I would think someone with those skills would be able to make a lot more money buying empty WOTC boxes and resealing though.

Because there is so little information known about these boxes it makes them more of a risky purchase and the value of these will probably fluctuate greatly. We don’t know the origin other than a story about it being a prototype or a rogue employee manufacturing these. If they were a prototype - how did they make it to the public? Reminds me of the pre-release Raichu in some ways.

1 Like

Acetone would take the ink off the box, insert loose packs, reseal and voila.