Base set first edition booster box

Hey guys I am new here. I am looking for a first edition base set factory sealed booster box to finalise my wotc box collection. I am willing to pay in the region of 10.000 dollar for a legitimate one( obviously). Thanks!!

There’s a girl who sold one a few weeks ago for slightly more. She mentioned to me a few days ago that her friends have more. She knew the pricing of all her Pokemon items very well which leads me to believe they may be fellow collectors of past. I’m not sure if her friends are ready to sell, although she mentioned she’d text me if they do.

I would love to have the opportunity to buy a legit box for around $10k, but I haven’t seen any pop up on ebay in the last couple of months since I became interested. Instead they’ve only been sold privately.

Quite foolish of the sellers if you ask me, they’re not savvy enough to realize that with the increase in prices for the cards, they could be making much more of a killing by just putting them up on ebay as a Buy It Now / Best Offer at a really high price. Or they could make even more if they just popped a box open and graded everything.

The smartest financial decision (provided one doesn’t need money ASAP) is just putting away a box and having the value of the box increase, but the worst financial decision is letting one go for $10k right now when it would be so easy get so much more for it.

She needed the money & was looking to get anything close to the last few sales. Fortunately, she had several bidders that increased the price a solid $2500+ from her initial ask.

I can understand from an investors point of view selling now is a bad decision. But as I told before I am a collector. I hope someone who has or had the same passion as me is willing to sell it for the price that a few ones went for lately. I am not trying to lowball but if theres a place I could ask it would be here I guess :grinning:.

1 Like

^ I totally understand. And I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I would also love to buy a box at that price. Just thought I’d say it here rather than create my own thread saying the same thing. Because I’m sure there are a lot of people on this forum who would love to be able to buy a box for $10k.

Understand what you’re asking for. You’re asking for one of the most desired items in the Pokemon community, if not the most desired item. Everyone here would love to have a PSA 10 1st edition base set Charizard or a PSA 9 Illustrator or a sealed 1st edition base set booster box. That’s why any seller with a legit box and a brain who wanted to sell their item for the highest possible value simply needs to make their item publicly known. It blows my mind how much money is being lost by sellers because they’d rather do business in private.

I’ve been monitoring these boxes on ebay for more than 3 months now, and the only boxes on ebay that have “sold” were all from people with 0 seller feedback. There haven’t been any cases of trustworthy sellers posting a legit box for a Buy It Now / Best Offer price. If that were to actually happen I think the cat would finally be out of the bag about how much these boxes are really worth (Each successive box would sell for more and more as buyers became more confident that they weren’t overpaying for their item.). But this hasn’t happened because the sales keep happening in private.

I think it’s also worth noting that the shitty fake sales on ebay that appear on sold listings create the false appearance to sellers that their item on ebay would only fetch around that same amount. But that’s an obvious mistake, because legit buyers are not bidding on shitty listings.

Markets can be slow to adjust because the people in them are not up to date on relevant information. So the boxes that have sold for slightly more than ~$10k in private are going for those prices based on the established standard of what boxes would sell for in the last few years.

These private prices have stayed firm despite the fact that the public value of the cards in these boxes has exploded in 2016. That’s a disconnect that cannot hold; eventually either the prices of the cards or the boxes have to give.

I’m kind of ranting (apologies), but I find it frustrating when I’ve just been waiting for a legit box to be posted publicly, and meanwhile these things keep getting scooped up in private for under what I’d be willing to pay for one. I mean, sure it’s my loss for not trying to actively find the people with the secret stashes, but it’s also the sellers’ loss for not selling their items for nearly as much as they could get for them.

1 Like

Haha I understand you completely. Partly my fault for waiting so long ( a Dutch Guy who was collecting x-men collectibles was willing to sell me his for 2000€ but i didnt have the money then :slightly_frowning_face: ) .Well, I am aware of the extreme rarity of this item and I Will keep monitoring prices. But if anyone is selling one for whatever kind of reason ( people need money all the time). I am more than willing to listen to a price. And yeah sadly most get sold privately so I have no acces either.

I hope your not referring to gordobritt

What’s the deal with gordobritt? I never pursued any of their listings because they seemed shady.

Edit: Never mind, just read the scam thread here www.elitefourum.com/t/ebay-scammer-chad-gordon-gordobritt-fake-1st-ed-base-box/15066/1

This girl was from South Dakota or Iowa. Something like that. The first deal went well last we spoke. Not on eBay.

Ahh yea I bet its the person I talked to from Sioux City Iowa, pretty close to me. Had a 1st ed box on craiglist and was supposed to take it out of storage and send me pictures but never did.

Might have found a person who has one for Sale not so far from me, he asks 6500 € wonder if he is going to be legit or not !! I Always fear they might be rewrapped.

That would be a steal if it’s real but it sounds too good to be true.

Yep I am kind of skeptic but I meet him tomorrow. Will update later

This is the photo he sent me.
Kind of looks shady; like he already opened the box through the bottom??

was that the only photo he sent?

fake as fuck

No he sent all angles but the bottom
Mostly caught my eye. Ill upload te others later.

It’s 100% not legit. I recommend to only buy a 1st edition box from a well known seller.