Gary & smpratte At The North Korean Pokemon Summit

@garyis2000 just out of curiosity is he able to sell out his share at the prevailing market rate at any time?

I’m sure both parties involved are likely not in too much need for the $81k, but I think that can address the motivation side of it for Gary’s friend who bought in 1/6th of that set of cards as far as @chris350dx 's question was concerning the fact that these cards would likely never sell and he’d never see a return.

1 Like

In time, you will call me master.

4 Likes

Watch out buddy.

13 Likes

Lol this is hilarious

1 Like

You guys are amazing. Scott and I are ROTF.

Well done and keep it up;)

2 Likes

Pretty amazing happening in the hobby, but I feel (and hope) we are missing a lot of information here.

I do wonder if the buyer should have just invested in his own PSA 10 Zard instead of taking a claim in someone else’s collection. He obviously had his reasons for going this route but this was my first thought after watching the video.

One could think of it as buying stock because you are buying a portion of something larger and hoping it will increase in value over time. But with stock I can cash out anytime. If Gary has no intentions to sell, what is the buyer really buying then?

What happens if Gary dies? What happens if the buyer dies? I’m sure his family will come knocking once they find out someone else is holding $80K in assets. I don’t need to know the details, but the scenario should be considered.

I know the reasoning of “he is my friend” and “we are like brothers” was used as the justification for this transaction multiple times. Hopefully there is more to that, such as a lawyer approved signed contract by both parties with terms and conditions laid out.

Not being negative or rain on your parade, just some thoughts. Great collection by the way (but you already knew that). …I’ll just be over here with my PSA 6 shadowless zard and PSA 9 Base uncommons.

2 Likes

To address the recurring questions, yes they have signed contracts, which is standard for most deals of this size. There are clauses for death, which again are standard for contracts.

Also whatever Gary decides to do with his cards is his choice. Saying he doesn’t plan to sell isn’t bound by law. How he decides to strategize is up to him.

As for why, that is more nuanced. In short, Gary has the largest position with Charizards; no one comes close. So buying something comparable from individual purchases is impossible. Especially since Gary still actively buys.

Ultimately the only two opinions that matter are Gary’s and Steve’s. They simply chose to publicly share this as they thought it would be fun.

8 Likes

Yeah he could have bought his own cards(maybe 2 Shadowless and 2 1st Ed Base), but I think what makes this deal interesting is the BGS 10. Gary will never sell either copy and it has the most potential of any English Pokemon card. If the hobby stays healthy, I don’t even want to imagine what that card could bring 10-20 years from now.
I would also dare to say these cards have more value because of Gary’s Legend status and the fact they appeared on Pawn Stars/Leonhart/Smpratte.

Gary is brilliant. Even if they both agree to sell some day, he still will have the second largest Charizard collection and he gets to keep his BGS 10 Shadowless and 1st Ed(unsigned case which he prefers). :blush:

1 Like

I’m convinced Gary is a Hypno.

1 Like

These memes give me life.

1 Like

4 Likes

God knows how many THOUSANDS of hours I’ve spent looking at a computer screen, but nothing on it has ever made me laugh like this.

4 Likes

Bewear is absolute genius. Major props to him:)

1 Like

My friend, we are not as dumb as we look lol. Good observations though. Scott’s reply was right on.
Actually, he didn’t want his own collection. He just wanted to partner in mine. We have a few other legal partnerships together outside of Pokemon. Plus, our families are close and aware of our dealings.

2 Likes

I got back into collecting after seeing the Our honorable president meme circulating but damn, this makes me want to sell the farm. What a sick collection! I will have a collection like that within a few years(wishful thinking I know aha) but I’d assume by that time you’ll have triple!

LOL…nice

3 Likes

External Media

7 Likes

@bewear was ahead of you

www.elitefourum.com/t/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-shipping-charge/20832/1

1 Like

i failed my first e4 meme. Maybe next time.

2 Likes