First Scarlet & Violet TCG Sets Announced for Japan

Yep, I thought about the XY-era immediately. :upside_down_face: Here’s to hoping that the alt arts are incredible and other hidden surprises come to surface.

2 Likes

They are going to have to meet or exceed the cool factor of SWSH, so expect the actual ultra rares to be awesome

Was really hoping they would step away from 3D models for the main chase rarity. Disappointed at the ex cards so far…

1 Like

The Magnezone looks good, would hope for more of that :wink: .

1 Like

Fair, but overall lackluster…

Yellow borders in English are officially gone. Welcome to the new age

9 Likes

That is AMAZING news!!!

The set ‘symbol’ is replaced to be similar to the Japanese/Thai/Chinese/Indonesian set designations for SV1, suffixed by EN

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 1.12.31 am

1 Like

From what I am reading on Pokebeach, there is also a change to how foils will work. Sounds like they are getting rid of non-holo rares completely, and we now get 3 guaranteed foils in a pack to balance out the 50 cent MSRP price increase. As well as ETBs will now have 1 more pack and a full art promo card in every one.

2 Likes

Wow that is HUGE! I never would have expected that

1 Like

All I can say is bravo! Very happy with these changes, especially the silver borders!

This is huge! I wonder if English cards will also get access to the better texture etc. thats used in Japan.

1 Like

Made a quick mockup of the what could have been:

2 Likes

i think all it needed was to have the same thickness as the gap between the picture frame and the border on the left side

I am pretty happy to not see a Gardevoir EX yet. But knowing TPC the first set will for sure have one which will reset the meta to same boring status as late XY.

Complete evolution lines in SWSH 2022 (S10a Dark Fantasma):

• Essentially 2 separate lines of the same Pokémon
  • Holo line feels like wasted set space

Evolution line in SV 2023-:

• Compact & connected, gives purpose to lower stages
  • More space for other Pokémon
10 Likes

If ex’s take the place of regular holos I can only imagine what the full art ex (and beyond) will look like! Definitely an improvement

2 Likes

More cards have been revealed:

Source: https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/12/gardevoir-ex-iron-treads-ex-and-more-cards-revealed-from-scarlet-ex-violet-ex

4 Likes

I see they’re bringing some pink into the base color for Psychic, which is doing a lot for me to see those cards as the Fairy type they are.

1 Like

lol Gardevoir EX has now been revealed

I must say that I am surprised that Paradox have already debuted. Thought they would reserve them for a themed set.

Though I did take a look through the first 2 years of Japanese SWSH sets and I must say that TPC actually doesn’t theme their sets too much either. I suppose the optimum release for me would be all the Pokemon in the set having a unified theme.

Some come close - Eevee Heroes, Single/Rapid Strike but not all the cards/Pokemon fit.