Favorite WoTC set poll šŸ„³

Neo Discovery is criminally underrated.

7 Likes

Hard agree, Discovery is top 3 for me along with Rocket and Jungle. Discovery Kabutops is possibly my favorite card art ever. Holo Espeon, Holo Umbreon, and the Rare/Holo Houndour also have outstanding art.

Iā€™m biased towards the sets from Base - Neo Destiny however since these are the only sets I currently collect and only sets I or my friends ever had as kids. I recently (as in the last week) started collecting e-Series and itā€™s a long road. But Iā€™m excited to explore that artwork.

2 Likes

Not to get super niche, but id like to see a poll between jungle fossil discovery and legend maker! All the lost indiana jones type sets

2 Likes

ChatGPTā€™s take on the most groundbreaking Pokemon set ever released. :robot:

The Base Set, released in 1999 by Wizards of the Coast, is considered by many to be the most groundbreaking Pokemon set ever released. This set introduced the Pokemon Trading Card Game to the world and established many of the core mechanics and features that have become staples of the game, including energy cards, trainer cards, and evolution cards.

The Base Set also introduced the concept of rarity to the Pokemon Trading Card Game, with each card in the set classified as either common, uncommon, rare, or holographic rare. The holographic rare cards, which feature a shiny foil background, are particularly coveted by collectors and are often the most valuable cards in a set.

Additionally, the Base Set included many iconic and beloved Pokemon, such as Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo, which helped to establish the popularity and longevity of the franchise. Overall, the Base Set was a groundbreaking release that paved the way for the future of the Pokemon Trading Card Game and continues to be highly sought after by collectors and fans alike.

When you select fossil and get hit with the 1%

4 Likes

Same with Legendary Collection. Welp guess Iā€™m finally the 1% in something :thinking:

2 Likes

As a colossal Aquapolis fanboy (favourite set of all time) this is my take on why itā€™s significantly better than Expedition.

1. As you mentioned, the theming is so tight.
  2. Aquapolis is one of the few sets that creates new lore and contributes to the world building of the PokƩmon franchise rather than just taking things already created in the anime/game. The city of Aquapolis only exists in this one TCG set, yet we can learn so much about it and its surroundings from piecing together all the arts in the set.
  3. Kind of linked to point 2, Aquapolis is a HUGE step up in card backgrounds compared to Expedition - particularly on rare/chase cards. If I look at the two setā€™s chase cards, in Expedition we have - Mew in a meadow, Feraligatr looking menacing in a river, Magby by a volcano and Tyranitar destroying stuff. I love all those backgrounds but most of the rest just look nondescript/stock images. Now compare that to Aquapolis - Tentacruel/Octillery/Kingdra all exploring undersea ruins. Azumarill/Togetic/Espeon/Arcanine all exploring the canals/city of Aquapolis. Umbreon waking up on a rooftop. Tyranitar skulking through jungle ruins. Muk in the sewers. Hypno eating someoneā€™s dream. I think itā€™s pretty easy to separate an Expedition holo card from an Aquapolis/Skyridge card for this reason.
  4. Just a personal one but the best art of 3 of my favourite PokƩmon is in Aquapolis (Tyranitar, Steelix, Azumarill).
4 Likes

Weā€™re cooking at 2% now! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Peasants disregard Fossil

1 Like

imagine liking base set, the most blandest set in history and not liking base set 2 with better holo patterns. People voted based on $$$$ and not card quality, tragic

1 Like

Will close the voting tonight and weā€™ll see where each set stands. Thanks everyone for voting!

1 Like

I thought the kabutops artwork was incredible. Then once I finally bought my copy I realized he is like cross-eyed or something and I havenā€™t been able to un-see it.

I donā€™t disagree that Base Set 2 has its qualities in terms of the holos. I also enjoyed Base Set 2 as a child because it was one of the first Pokemon packs/sets I bought and opened. I have all the holos in high grades as well.

But, we also need to consider the history here. It was really a garbage set when it came out. We already had Base Set, Jungle, Fossil. 1st Edition through Unlimited. And then Base 2 comes out, and it was just a re-print of primarily Base Set with a few Jungle cards thrown in that we already had.

I believe Itā€™s only gained a bit of traction in the past while I think because now itā€™s old/vintage, itā€™s very difficult to grade due to bad quality control, and you can get holos with swirls on them. Also, even when you factor in the different holo pattern, Shadowless/1st Ed has much nicer print quality/colouring compared to both regular Unlimited & Base 2.

So I think most people voting Base Set have Shadowless/1st Ed in their head when doing so would be my guess, and thatā€™s why itā€™s much higher on the list. I like the Base 2 holos, but overall itā€™s very hard to defend from a historical perspective and actually consider it to be a ā€˜goodā€™ set from the WOTC era as a whole.

1 Like

Also I think next Iā€™ll do one for the ex era/gen 3 and then one for the diamond and pearl era /gen 4

Poll is closed.

Top 3 were

1. Neo Destiny
  2. Base set
  3. Skyridge

Very interesting how things played out. Next will be ex era!

Cheers!:partying_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m really stunned by how close Skyridge (18%) and Aquapolis (14%) are. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that Skyridge is dramatically more popular than Aquapolis, and that Expedition and Aquapolis are close in terms of popularity. But in actuality, Skyridge and Aquapolis are comparably popular (according to this poll) while Expedition is wayyyyyyy behind.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s the crystals. But I was also surprised how well aquapolis did too

1 Like

No need to poll for EX. TRR will be 100% of votes.

1 Like

E4 is not very representative of the hobby at large

2 Likes

i voted neo destiny even though i donā€™t like the shinings. the regular cards are so good in that set