Favorite Pokemon Ever

So apologies if this has already been covered (I feel like it has to have been at some point already). But which pokemon is your favorite and why? And if possible, something a little more in depth besides “he’s the best” or “it’s just so cute.” Though that those are both reasons for why my choice is:

Cubone.

Plus, he has a dark past. And if there are any Joseph Campbell fans out there (if you’re a Star Wars fan, you’re also a Joseph Campbell fan, you just don’t know it yet), then you’ll know that part of being a hero involves having a dark or mysterious past as well as some sort of struggle to overcome. So in my opinion, the fact that I can relate Cubone to Joseph Campbell and by association, Star Wars, is grounds for making him my favorite Pokemon. Plus, as I said earlier, he’s so freaking cute!

OK, so a lengthy rationalization for something that normally takes two seconds to answer. But if anyone else has in-depth answers either real or invented for their favorite pokemon, please share! :blush:

This is a great thread! Mewtwo beats cubone all the time :blush:

You’re just salty because being genetically engineered means not only does Mewtwo not have a past, he has negative a past.

hahaha :grin: clever cubone collector!

I vote metwo, maybe second to mewtwo in armor. Ever since I saw that episode with Giovanni where he kicks the living crap out of everyone with it; I wanted one. Not to mention, Mewtwo doesn’t have the brightest past either.

Yes! When I saw that I was like alright this pokemon is in charge of Everything!

And if someone is in charge of everything they are the boss…Mewtwo is the boss! End of story.

1 Like

I’m way more of an underdog person, so I have to stick with Cubone on this one. And my argument for Cubone’s mysterious/sad past vs. Mewtwo’s is basically that being created in a lab means you don’t have a past.

Cubuone>Mewtwo by Joseph Campbell standards, which I’ve recently deemed a criteria for judging pokemon somehow ;D.

And mkpokecc you still have to say which pokemon is your favorite! Or are you using scott’s reasoning for why you also like mewtwo?

Exactly Mike! Mewtwo was the boss of Giovanni :blush:

The United States doesn’t have much of a past but it is winning the race :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

Sure mewtwo has a past. It is just relative to the point when he was first created. As long as time moves forward, there is a past.

Oh e2d2: I like mewtwo because I have a rare card that features mewtwo on it. Nahhh I liked it ever since I saw that episode I referenced above :blush:
USA! ;D

yyyyyeaaahhh…

first off, the US wasn’t genetically engineered because that’s impossible. And in the above case, heroes can turn into villians :confused: ;D

ohmygod I loled at the USA! comment

in terms of mewtwo’s past, I totally get what you’re saying. I guess I feel like Mewtwo didn’t have a past because he seemed to just always “be” if that makes sense. Like I can’t imagine a baby mewtwo that had a dad and a mom and a binky or whatever. But I realize that he had to have had some sort of past. So back to my other justification: Cubone is just soo cute!

Cubone definitely wins in cuteness, mewtwo just wins in everything else :blush: :grin:

I found this cool theory about cubone. I stumbled upon it in the past but it has grown since I first came across it:

"Basically the idea is that a mother Kangaskhan dies, leaving its Kangaskhan cub on its own. The Kangaskhan cub uses the skull and a bone from its mother to use as protection and becomes a Cubone. Then through malnutrition or adapting to a different lifestyle, the Cubone evolves into a Marowak. "

I like the idea and always thought cubone and baby khan looked similar, check it out!

1 Like

Yes! I thought the idea was perfect with the baby kangaskhan! And I like Magikarp because he turns into Gyarados. Gyarados is in my top 10 favorite so I have to respect Magikarp. I think everyone has to because when magikarp evolves, its game over.

I loved the magikarp explanation! First off, I am not as knowledgeable about pokemon as say…everyone else on this board, so I learned something new. And the idea of a difficult journey to become something so strong and fierce is pretty cool. Also, I had no idea about the human face thing, a really dark detail that makes a pokemon so much more intriguing!

Yes, Magikarp has to struggle hard until that level 20 then its time for redemption!

e2d2, the mask part was about a new pokemon #562 yamask :blush:

Also, these new pokemon are growing on me! I like it :blush: The 3rd and 4th generation didn’t have the same effect.

My favorite Pokemon is Shuckle. The TCG gives it no love, but in the video games it’s hella hard to kill. If ev trained correctly, its defence and sp. def will be well into the 600’s. Power Swap, which averages the opponent’s Att/Sp. Att with Shuckle’s, essentially can almost halve the opponent’s attack power. That and I just liked that you could steal it from a random trainer in G/S/C. Its past is a complete enigma, but there’s got to be a reason for it to hide under rocks like its his job.

Yamask is a pretty neat concept for a Pokemon and I’m surprised that it hasn’t received any criticism from any religions for proposing reincarnation. For some reason, it reminded me of the most depressing pokemon ever, Parasect. The mushroom on its back is essentially a parasite that took over its body.

Here is a website I found with a comical twist on some of the more grim entries from the new’ish B/W games.
www.comicsalliance.com/2011/03/15/weirdest-pokemon-black-white/

1 Like

Nice link theobest! I like the gengar one on there. He is one of my favorites!

Also on the topic of odd pokemon, I found one that probably has the most ridiculous process of evolving. Larvitar evolves into Pupitar by eating…wait for it…an entire mountain! Here is the description from pokemon Gold, “It feeds on soil. After it has eaten a large mountain, it will fall asleep so it can grow.” :grin:

@smpratte - It makes you wonder if there will be any mountains left in the world (laughs).

I always find myself amused by particular entries. GAMEFREAK has this fascination with consuming bodily fluids and creepy phenomenon…and aggressive crotches.

In my opinion, the creepiest Pokémon are the ones who possess unnatural cries (especially ones not quite suited for their appearance) – Musharna, Gothitelle and Vileplume, to name a few.

1 Like

Charmander. Hes such a humble little guy. Until he evolves. I like that a lot.

I think i’m odd that i’ve never had a favorite pokemon