Favorite modern set/sets

I know the general rule is the older, the rare, the better. But I wanted to see what everyone’s favorite modern set to collect is. I really like hidden fates and brilliant starts. Have big hopes for silver tempest too

3 Likes

Lost Origins was a super cool set, there’s some beauties in there. Evolving Skies has to be one of the top modern as well. They’re both hyper modern, but in a more broad modern aspect the jet black themed EX cards from a number of “modern” sets are some of my favorites. They’re not super popular but I love the aesthetic.

Tag Team GX All Stars is probably my favourite set of all time

2 Likes

Evolving Skies! A lot of cool artworks in that set.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this qualifies as “modern” but for me it’s Ancient Origins. Shiny full arts of Primal Groudon/Kyogre and mega Rayquaza, FA Lugia, Giratina, Mega & regular Tyranitar, and more. Also love the ancient trait cards (the 3 quarter full arts). Not big into FA trainers so Steven being the only one in the whole set is nice in that regard too.

3 Likes

Probably VMAX Climax, but I have a feeling VSTAR Universe is about to change that.

5 Likes

Maybe a hot take but modern sets kind of suck as sets.

The special arts and character rares are some of the best cards ever made. A lot of the nonholos look really good. But there’s just a major lack of coherence in current day modern sets. When I think about what makes modern good, I just picture specific cards and the set they fall into seems pretty arbitrary and irrelevant sets

17 Likes

Nah I don’t think this is a hot take. I think most everyone would pretty much agree. At this point, I like sets for the individual cards in the sets; not the set design itself.

5 Likes

I second this, its amazing how high they keep raising the bar with the High-Class sets.

2 Likes

Yeah I think a nice contrast is the Ex era poll here Favorite EX-Era Set

The ones with the strongest set identities are at the top (even if they lack really fantastic or expensive stand-alone cards!) and the set with probably the most expensive single is at the bottom!

3 Likes

I really enjoyed shining legends. A modern version of the shinings was really nice, mewtube was one of the best modern cards ever made at that point and it was very refreshing to have a set that wasnt 200+ cards with like 30+ secret rares/full arts that I felt like I could actually complete.

3 Likes

I was just typing this out! Love the modern Shining cards. Of course I am biased with Mewtwo, but I think its a safe Mewtube is one of the best arts, especially from that era. Also I like how its smaller. It was fun putting it together and didn’t feel like a project. Modern sets today, especially english are so much work to complete.

3 Likes

100% yes. I have the same problem. I love certain cards and overall the art across the board is fantastic but we don’t have set identity and smaller more focused sets like we used to. :confused: bummer innit

1 Like

I might get some backlash here, but I felt that Chilling Reign was well put together and cohesive. It has a strong set identity in my mind, certainly more than other modern sets. I think the Winter theme of the cards and its release date during the Winter months played a huge role in its identity.

4 Likes

I liked Chilling Reign too. And I’m not biased because there’s 3 Karen cards in it :eyes:

1 Like

I think I just enjoy any set that has a sub set. Trainer galleries, shiny vaults, radiant collections. I’m personally not a huge fan of modern reverse foils and so the opportunity to pull something different in the reverse slot makes me much more excited to open those kinds of sets.

1 Like

I definitely agree with the sentiment that overall set identity has been poor recently. I do like Eevee Heroes and VMAX CLIMAX for that reason. For English, it has to be Evolving Skies due to the alt arts. But I gotta say Celebrations would be up there with the high class sets if we’re just talking about an enjoyable opening experience.

I guess I’d have to say Hidden Fates or Celebrations.

I’m mainly interested in the chase pulls though (full art shinies and classic collection respectively). Most sets aren’t all that eye appealing to me personally. The reverses are terrible and modern holos have been in a decline since BW. Regular V cards, gx, ex, rainbows, full art trainers, etc just dont appeal to me. Its hard to get attached to an entire set when there are so many cards within. I’d like scvi to take a new (but technically old) approach and have much more limited set sizes…but I think its unlikely.

As echoed above, people tend to be more focused towards specific chase cards instead of the overall set nowadays. I think a mixture of both is needed, but Pokemon has been in the chase card era for quite a while now.

English:
Shining Legends (is this still considering modern? How about post modern)

Japanese:
Dream League (literally unbeatable)

2 Likes

In English? None.

I guess Celebrations if special sets count.

Main sets have 0 identity.