Favorite Gen 1 Water-Type Pokemon Poll

I was looking back at the recent poll showing favorite Pokemon types (URL here for reference), and water types came out at the top! Based on my sprites, you may be able to tell that I’m a fan of water types, and that is where my vote landed as well. Since water types ended up well ahead of the others, I’m curious to see what the top 3 favorite water type Pokemon are from the fellow forum users! I’m sticking with Gen 1 Pokemon for now, because my favorites are all there, and it’s my poll :laughing:

I’d like to hear y’alls thoughts! Let us know why you think the Pokemon you voted for are cool, playable, have the best artwork, nostalgic, best swimmers, underrated, or anything else you’d like to add!

:ocean: Happy voting! :ocean:

For clarity, I included any Pokemon that has water type assigned to it, including dual type (like Kabutops, for example), and I broke them out into commons/uncommons/rares based on the original set they were released in since I can’t put more than 20 options in an individual poll.

Favorite Gen 1 Water Type Pokemon (Commons)

• Squirtle
  • Psyduck
  • Poliwag
  • Tentacool
  • Slowpoke
  • Shellder
  • Krabby
  • Horsea
  • Goldeen
  • Staryu
  • Starmie
  • Omanyte
  • Kabuto

0 voters

Favorite Gen 1 Water Type Pokemon (Uncommons)

• Wartortle
  • Golduck
  • Poliwhirl
  • Tentacruel
  • Slowbro
  • Seel
  • Dewgong
  • Cloyster
  • Kingler
  • Seadra
  • Seaking
  • Magikarp
  • Omastar

0 voters

Favorite Gen 1 Water Type Pokemon (Rares)

• Blastoise
  • Poliwrath
  • Gyarados
  • Lapras
  • Vaporeon
  • Kabutops

0 voters

3 Likes

This is a great poll idea! Looking forward to seeing the results :popcorn: I’m a friend to all water types and have just about all of these in my Pokemon In Water collection. There’s only a handful with designs I don’t like.

2 Likes

squirtle, karp, vaporeon. these are no brainers

1 Like

Interesting way of separating Pokemon via their original card rarities. Does make some choices difficult but I assume having a single poll with that many options wouldn’t be possible.

Starmie, Tentacruel, Gyarados were my picks.

1 Like

Squirtle, Dewgong, Lapras

1 Like

This type of poll is an amazing idea to know other people’s opinion about something in specific (in this case is Water Type Pokémon)

Dividing them in 3 different Polls according to rarity was a smart move.

My choices were Omanyte, Omastar and Poliwrath … :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Huh, I’m shocked to see Gyarados not being on top of the Rares and Poliwrath ahead of Kabutops (ahead of anything, for that matter).
Can’t imagine it to stay like this forever, but we’ll see, I guess.

3 Likes

Slowpoke and Slowbro currently at 0%. Give them time, they will catch up…

5 Likes

Was hard to pick one for the Commons, but went with Krabby over Omanyte (but only slightly).
Uncommon and Rare were a lot easier to choose, since they’re Kingler and Kabutops.

Good idea to split it into three polls, btw. :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Where are the krab lovers at?!?! My guy’s got BIG PINCERS

7 Likes

Starmie, Kingler, Kabutops #spinelessgang

2 Likes

@ddk Correct, I couldn’t put more than 20 options in a poll which was my original plan, although I think it helps focus it a little more this way anyways so it kind of inadvertently worked out.

@SeasidePokemon Yes! Lapras gang rise up!

1 Like

Squirtle, Poliwhirl, Gyarados The water type makes up slightly over 20% of the Gen 1 roster and so many of them have great designs

1 Like

Blastoise taking the lead :ocean: :droplet:

1 Like

The rares are so close right now :man_swimming:

2 Likes

My top three were all in the same category. This poll is rigged, I tell you! Rigged! :joy:

I went with Squirtle, Slowbro, Kabutops.

Holo Kabutops from Fossil was my first committed chase card back in the day (big dinosaur/fossil nerd), so he had to come out on top of Blastoise & Gyarados.

1 Like

I voted for both of them.

Anyone who played competitive Pokemon back in Gen 1 knows how lethal Slowbro was (paging @c0ll3ct0r).

Gen 1 was loaded with powerful Water types. Slowbro, Starmie, Lapras, Cloyster, etc. Funny enough, while I voted for Blastoise as my favorite for the Rares, it was actually toward the bottom half of the list of fully-evolved Water types in terms of competitive viability.

4 Likes

Some good lore about the dreaded TobyBro:

2 Likes

Tentacool with zero votes where it belongs

1 Like

giphy

4 Likes