Favorite EX-Era Set

I had the last post in the last thread so I’ll say it again. TMTA is goated and very underrated.

5 Likes

Plus:

TMTA = Gym Heroes

TRR = Gym Challenge

(We can just pretend HL and FRLG don’t exist lol)

1 Like

Galactic brain

P.S. FRLG = Base Set 2???

1 Like

Oh I 100 percent agree that Dragon is the better set with the better holos! I just like Sandstorm, too.

1 Like

With TMTA as a much better version of Rocket, and Hidden Legends as the legendary set required for a gen like Gen 3 (so like a fifth set Neo Revelation thing ish?)

2 Likes

Without question the best card from the whole EX series is the deck exclusive Dark Dragonite. Behold

1 Like

Now this is a hot take! I love this card. It is my favorite Dragonite ever printed. But even I know that it isn’t the best card from the whole EX-Era. :eyes:

The way in-game locations were handled through the EX-era is something that will always make it stand out to me. Implication, direct representation, thematic riddles, visual ques and easter eggs…it’s just an absolute treasure trove to the imagination and memory.

Take Granite Cave representation in Ruby Sapphire, it’s a story of its own, from the explicit Nosepass to Wingull riding the winds over the rocky shores of route 105/106:

Route 111 in Sandstorm. Meteor falls, Chimney, Route 115 in Dragon. Chimney, Jagged Pass, Mt Pyre and Route 119 in Hidden Legends, and on and on.

9 Likes

In game locations is definitely an underused art when making cards I feel. Whenever I see it its always a standout!

1 Like

There are just so many amazing sets in the Ex Era.

I chose Legend Maker, due to all the amazing artworks, the strong set narrative of hunting Mew and the beautiful cosmos holo pattern on the reverse holofoils (plus that classy set logo).

But, I can’t deny that sets like Dragon, FrLg, TTR and Delta Species are all just as good. A spoil of riches all 'round!

4 Likes

I think EX Delta Species is a great set, but can we take some time to imagine how incredible the eeveelution holos/reverse holos would have looked with a cosmos holofoil pattern?

4 Likes

And this :sob:

2 Likes

In this hypothetical universe, I would also commission new arts for Flareon EX, Jolteon EX, and Vaporeon EX… :eyes:

They had so much potential… especially when compared to Espeon EX and Umbreon EX from Unseen Forces.

1 Like

I love the Vaporeon, that one is epic, but totally agree on the Jolteon and Flareon. They leave a lot to be desired when compared to the great Johto Eevee’s.

I can’t get over how oddly shaped Vaporeon’s face is… It looks like it is smiling at the camera with a mouth full of food. :laughing:
Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 11.13.35 AM

It’s a bit untidy I’ll give you that. :joy:

Best Water Spit Laughing GIFs | Gfycat

1 Like

EX Emerald and EX Legend Maker for me, although I like the entire era in general tbh. I especially wish (and maybe hope for the new set in January :eyes: ) they’d make Reverse Holofoils again like they did back then.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

yes, i die for these illustrations

1 Like

A bit sad that nobody has voted for EX Power Keepers. Gotta spread some Power Keepers love.

6 Likes

Combination of the set having been overprinted (by EX standards), an overabundance of Sugimori stock image art, and no discernible “identity.” There are a number of cards from the set that I like quite a bit, but the set as a whole is just completely forgettable.

3 Likes