Fake graded charizord - watch out!

Then I dunno what causes it, but I can never report on eBay.com personally (and I’ve also used PFM’s link directly at first). Only after changing it to .co.uk I could report.

Either way, I’m surprised it’s still up if so many people have already reported it… What happens if someone has already won and paid, and only then eBay makes work of the reports (assuming they do anything at all)?

Greetz,
Quuador

Does anyone know the winner? Had like 100k feedback…

If so, should let them know it’s a fake.

1 Like

Gonna be honest: this could have fooled me. :confused:

Stressful happenings lately. I’m really glad I got my cards like this when you could still trust a slab.

The big giveaway for me is the blue border around the word Pokémon on the back of the card, which is an uncharacteristically light blue instead of dark blue. I don’t think I saw that mentioned yet. But I guess that also falls under “color saturation.”

I’m possibly getting confused. But the first link goes to a Charizard, with PSA case with a holo on it.

The one in the reddit doesn’t have the holo on it?

The fact that someone would bid $16,000 on a card with that description is infuriating to me. Is this community that starved for deals right now?

7 Likes

My suspicion is that the buyer was an “outsider” — someone treating Pokémon like a speculative market with high return potential. They’ve probably done their reading and know what to look for but aren’t intimately familiar with the cards themselves. They see the slab, they trust PSA, they see dollar signs, they buy. These are the people it is easiest to exploit.

Also the “fake PSA” thing is new and sort of fringe still. I only became aware of them recently and I collect very actively. If you’re not a member of a community forum like this, the fact PSA fakes exist at all will be a lot slower to reach you. For a long time, the common perception was that you could always trust a slab. PSA did the work so you don’t have to. That card is authentic and in the described condition. This will take time to unlearn, and honestly a lot of older posts and recommendations across the internet assuring that PSA can be trusted aren’t going to account for the newer trend of fake cases. These fakes will succeed indefinitely because they’re preying on people’s long-held confidence.

Someone’s first reaction to a slabbed card used to be confidence. Only now should it be doubt. If that’s hard for me, it’s probably a lot harder for someone who might not even own any cards yet and is just getting started.

3 Likes

Agree with you wholeheartedly. This fake didn’t look too bad at first glance and even had the right cert. That’s scary.

My biggest issue is this seller has never sold pokemon before outside of $7 lots and then suddenly has a high end item, with multiple different backgrounds in the photos, and a description that’s full of typos and says “people tell me this might be fake, idk if it is, but also fuck you if it is” is so, so many red flags to drop 16k

1 Like

Yeah, of course, the fact anybody - new or outsider or otherwise - would spend so much money on something with that description is outrageous.

1 Like

This guy won it but won’t be paying.

ebay.com/usr/icollected

He messaged me on IG after I posted it on my story saying that he agrees it’s a fake.

The only time winning an auction and not paying is commendable

17 Likes

A guy on the Reddit post said it was a fake because the HP was too “light” lol people out here thinking shadowless cards are illegitimate :joy:

This is one of those things that’s never changed. When I was a boy I threw out all my shadowless cards because kids told me they were fake!

2 Likes

Why are people such scum!

1 Like

Glad he was alerted and saved from making that mistake. These fakes are getting out of hand.

5 Likes

eBay HATES bootleg listings. However, they don’t have the manpower to handle all of them, so what they’ll probably did/will do is throttle the report-item stream, sit on it, and if the buyer complains, or if there’s anything fishy from the seller, address it at that time. Unsatisfying, but hopefully, it’ll all be right in the end.

1 Like

Yeah, ebay us server will throttle connections to the reporting server if it’s getting too many. NBD, just keep trying, or after multiple attempts, take it as a sign that it’s getting reported.

To be fair, most people are not going to bother reading the description of a PSA-graded card, and I can pretty much guarantee that the winning bidder did not bother to do so.

To me, the most obvious giveaway is the back of the card, where the coloring looks more like a washed out modern card than a vintage WOTC card.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: :sob:
As consolation, many of the fake base set cards were shadowless. Perhaps it wasn’t as big a loss as it could have been. Years ago, I also had a few fake 1st ed base cards, but the community set me straight.

For the record there’s a good indication the seller knows what he’s doing since he sent an ebay… “invoice” to someone on discord as proof of purchase

I mean where to begin… the weird fonts, the 1990 in the title, the Microsoft Word-esque autoformatting of “1st”, the fact that PWCC doesn’t put the cert in the title… or even better, you can go to the PWCC sales history and see that a psa 9 1st ed charizord wasn’t even auctioned that monthwww.pwccmarketplace.com/sales-history?completed_items=&search_option=title&q=charizard&view=grid&auction_id=115&sort_by=time&page=1&items_per_page=50

19 Likes

Damn. I used to not care about the proxies, but this is ridiculous. Cant stand by now.

Just brainstorming here, but this seems like a slam dunk fraud case. If he forged that word document, there was clearly intent to deceive on the part of the seller.

Could bring civil charges or criminal charges.

4 Likes

Nice, I like that he made payment on a Tusday. My favourite day of the week

3 Likes