Evolutions holo psa 10s thoughts?

I’m talking about the non full arts such as charizard, mew, gyarados, etc?

With it being one of the most popular sets of all time and during a period where grading was at an all time high, do you see these holos being desirable in psa 10? Difficult to grade, nostalgic throwback to the original design, did I mention difficult to grade?

I feel like only the Charizard is appreciated and many other holos such as lily pad mew fly under the radar. What are y’all’s thoughts?

1 Like

@dblast

2 Likes

I really like the regular holos in Evolutions. I have about 85 of them at PSA right now (only 6 Charizards). :blush:

I’m slowly working on an Evolutions PSA 10 master set for my personal collection. I have no choice but to grade my own since most of the holos are pretty much non-existent in PSA 10. Chansey actually is non-existent, it is still Pop 0.

Of course I know these cards aren’t “rare”. I just really like the cards, and the fact no one else seems to be actively grading these has kind of motivated me to make it my own unique collection goal to get them all gem mint.

2 Likes

Holo mew sells for $400? I don’t think that’s under the radar.

I personally don’t see the appeal in collecting PSA 10s of reprints, especially from a set that still has boatloads of sealed product out there. I’m not very risk averse, but even I wouldn’t touch these with a 10-foot pole. But if you want to own them for their own sake, then go for it. It ultimately just comes down to personal taste. I would at least hold off on buying them for a bit until PSA works through their backlog. There’s an ungodly amount of Evolutions at PSA right now.

4 Likes

While Evolutions is “reprints” of a nostalgic set, I see it as the new generation of kids base set. It is going to hold a value to them like kids of the original base era have now. People try to replicate their childhood so young teens collecting these are going to be looking for them to induce good feelings. When or how much is available and what costs they bring are anyones guess

The difference is that Pokemon cards were much more popular among the kids of 1999 than they are for the kids of 2020. Much of the demand for Evolutions is (understandably) from adult collectors. The other consequence of this is that Evolutions cards are, on average, being much better preserved than Base Set cards were.

A close parallel exists in sports cards: cards from the 1950s/60s were very rarely preserved correctly because the vast majority of the collector-base was comprised of children. Cards from the 1980s/90s, on the other hand, were much better preserved (on average) because there were many adult collectors involved then. So even today, the average 90s Baseball card collection is in NM condition. The result of this is that there’s a much smaller premium placed on condition for 90s cards. Very close parallel to Base/Evolutions.

6 Likes

For sure, Evolutions is not crazy interesting, plus it missed some cards to be reprinted, which sucked. I wasn’t much into the EX cards either. But yeah, these were made in abundance. Since they came out around the release of Pokemon Go.

1 Like

That’s true. But even with all the sealed product being cracked open. Evolutions is probably the worst offender of gem mint cards from the pack. I’d say it even rivals neo genesis in terms of print lines and quality control. The only thing against it is it’s time in history. Idk I feel like the set in gem condition is pretty cool :confused:

1 Like

I don’t understand the dislike for reprints. I’m not just talking about Evolutions. Legendary collection regular holos in PSA 9/10 are incredibly affordable considering how relatively rare they are.

Maybe it’s just me. I don’t care if it is the 2nd or 20th reprint of an artwork. A set is a set, and I evaluate each according to its own merits. I collect Base, LC, and Evolutions, and I enjoy each for different reasons.

Regarding the hesitation to acquire Evolutions PSA 10s: that’s why you grade them yourself. This isn’t Deoxys. The cards can easily be acquired raw in mint condition. My cost basis on the Evolutions holos I submitted is incredibly low. It’s pretty much impossible to lose unless the whole Pokémon market collapses. Even if they all come back PSA 8 I probably would break even. The only real cost is time and patience.

Evolutions holos in psa 10 are a garden, dig it.

FWIW, I feel the same way about LC. The only difference is that LC is appealing largely because it’s a WotC set, and a relatively scarce one at that. Personally, though, I would never consider collecting LC or BS2, except for maybe cards like Dark Vaporeon/Persian that weren’t printed as holo until LC.

If you enjoy acquiring raw mint cards and grading them, then that’s fantastic. I wasn’t talking about that. The thread title is “Evolutions holo psa 10s thoughts?” And my thought is that Evolutions PSA 10s are an especially risky buy (even within the context of Pokemon cards). One of the big risks is that an unbelievable amount of supply is at PSA right now, which could result in a staggering amount of new 10s despite the difficulty of getting 10s.

Yeah i dont know why people grade Base Set 2 and Legendary Collection Charizard either

If you missed my previous post, I said that I feel the same way about LC and BS2. I personally don’t get the appeal of those sets. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but OP asked for “thoughts” not for “facts.”

1 Like

I don’t see the appeal of only collecting WOTC

Neither do I, which is why I don’t collect WotC :wink:

3 Likes

Honestly, if you are collecting something because you like it, it’s hard to go wrong. PSA slabs of reprints are a good way to get your favorite art of different mons without having to pay top dollar. If you are buying for investment purposes, then I would think reprints will never have the same value as original prints, unless they have some type of exclusivity. I collect anything I want, which includes PSA slabs of reprinted cards. And I don’t ever really plan on selling the things that are part of my collection, so the reprint factor doesn’t really matter to me. It really comes down to what you are willing to spend on what you want. Just my thoughts. :wink:

I think the difficultly of grading gives them a nice character in modern. It’s really interesting to see that Chansey has no 10s thus far. It’ll be cool to see when/if its ever gets one.

Are the ones difficult to grade a 10 the normal holos or the reverse?

Both are difficult to grade, but relatively speaking the reverse holos are much easier to grade.

PSA 10 percentages of population:
Charizard holo - 2.5%
Charizard reverse - 18.3%
Japanese Charizard holo - 85.4%

The stats vary by card, but those are fairly representative numbers.

1 Like