Evidence of Recoloration - PSA

Hi e4,

I submitted a Shadowless Charizard to PSA that I bought off eBay back in Nov 2019. Given the crazy turnaround times, I got the result today. Apparently, the card is assessed to be “N3: Evidence of Recoloration”.

Have any of you experienced something like this before? I googled a bit and apparently it’s more common in the sports card scene but not quite sure if it is in Pokemon.

Also, is still it possible to ask eBay seller for refund? – I cannot start a case anymore because of eBay protection expiry.

Thanks for your inputs

That’s not one I’ve ever heard of. If you got a really bright flashlight and shined it through the back, I feel like you’d be able to see and perhaps show that to the seller and maybe make a case on eBay? That’s a great question. Good luck!

Look at the back of the card, near where any whitening shows you might be able to see where a previous owner took a dark blue marker to try and touch it up. If you see two different shades of blue (even the subtlest difference) that’s enough for them to assume someone touched it up.

1 Like

I’ve had this very thing happen. You have 180 days to file a claim through PayPal. You should be fine.

1 Like

When you get it back, if the recoloration is not apparent, I dont think returning to the seller is the appropriate choice. Its not the seller’s fault that PSA has chosen not to grade it

9 Likes

I agree with PkmnFlyingMaster. Unless the sale specifically included a gurantee that the card will PSA grade, then the seller is not at fault. The card may not be tampered with, or it may have been messed with by someone else who owned the card before they did. You didn’t see anything wrong with the card upon opening it from the mailing package when it arrived, so therefore you found it satisfactory.

Look at the white sides. If a marker was used to hide whitening sometimes it bleeds through to the side.

On another note, I’m surprised so many feel it’s excusable to sell an altered card. If Scott sold me a trophy Pika and it had been markered, I wouldn’t accept it. Would you?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t sell an ungraded trophy :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have contacted eBay but they are strict with their time limit. They get it but are bound by their policy. I will try to pursue this through PayPal.

Just my 2 bits - I personally believe that any prudent seller should voice out or describe in their listing if a card is altered. When someone lists ”Shadowless Charizard” on eBay, presumably that’s what the buyer should get - not a ”Shadowless (altered) Charizard”.

I get that the seller himself may or not be a victim. Regardless, innocent misrepresentation is still misrepresentation in my humble opinion. I would be sympathetic in that case but it does not mean I have not been legally wronged imo…

Psa just today denied Fukuda signatures directly from Dallas.

Beckett designated multiple Charizard GX cards as “altered/recolored” and they were both pulled straight from a pack.

Point being Grading companies don’t always get it right. A good starting point would be posting the auction or photos of the card in question.

3 Likes

You’ve had it a few months and also sent it to a third party. Frankly, a return at this point is going to scare a lot of ppl away from doing business with you. Getting an altered card sucks but it’s just been too long. Make sure you closely inspect things when you get them. I wish you the best in this situation but I don’t think a return is really appropriate at this point.

4 Likes

It is true I had it for a few months… more than 2 months of it were at PSA though.

Here is photo of the auction listing:

ibb.co/cbB9jgT

The listing itself I think is no longer available for viewing on eBay.

I do not have the card with me as it is being shipped back from PSA. Here are some photos I took before sending to PSA:

ibb.co/ykTFySq
ibb.co/7SxnnyS

I will remain silent here on out. Just wanted to express my thoughts about the situation. Hope nobody is offended and apologies if so.

1 Like

Good point lol. I know of a couple you bought ungraded though. Would you have mentioned it to the seller if one he sold you was colored with a pen? Now you’re a very pleasant dude but something tells me that wouldn’t fly;)

It’s still worth a couple hundred.

Thanks for sharing those images! When the card returns the easiest way to check for ink is looking at the side of the card. Basically if you see any color on the middle area between the front and back, it has been inked.

Whenever you get it back from Psa feel free to share images of the card from different angles. We should be able to get a strong impression if it was inked.

I said this same thing an hour ago lol.
My dad use to say, “Great minds think alike but, so do weak minds” lol.

1 Like

If you deem the card to be re-colored upon inspection; you should definitely reach-out to the seller explaining situation and ask for a refund. I’d recommend doing this before opening a PayPal Claim - it drives me nuts when people on eBay open an Item not Described Case before reaching-out to me explaining situation first.

I wouldn’t be rude to the seller - it could very-well be something that he / she just missed themselves. However, any reputable “business” would 100% Accept Return despite it being past eBay Return time-frame - I know I would at least!

2 Likes

Zooming in on the back I can see the recoloring, most prominently from the bottom half the backside down on the borders. The altered blue is definitely a different shade, and when looking at the border its so dark it almost looked wet. Shame, the card on the front looked really nice.

I think PSA got it right, based on the photos.

It looks to me like inking along the right, left, and bottom rear of the card. Most notably on the lower left rear corner… if you zoom in you can see the blueish purple sheen of what I believe is recoloring.

At this point I would chalk it up as a learning experience, as it’s been three months. If it were more recent I’d suggest addressing listing description and going from there.

2 Likes

Not sure what course of action you should take with the original seller, but yes this is very obviously recolored. Shame :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like