Fake Shadowless Charizard?

Received two shadowless charizards. The cards are the same size and have similar holo patterns, but one card has a much darker tint. Is one of them fake? Pictures below. Thanks!

The second one looks a little suspect due to the darker color and almost a heavier gloss at certain angles, but then again, there are variances in cards. If the holo looks legit, you should be ok.

P.S, I almost bought that first one on mercari, lol. Looks like you beat me to it. Those scratches along the top are worse than I thought though. Still a good binder card!

Lighter/darker colour variations are completely normal for shadowless cards

Post different angles of the cards. The most concerning thing I see is the type of warping. I don’t typically experience that for wotc cards, or any pokemon cards in general.

4 Likes

@smpratte, Here are additional photos. Appreciate the help

Right one is definitely fake

Although the warping is odd on the one, it still looks real to me. I’ve never seen a fake with that good of a holofoil before.

Wasn’t this recently discussed here?
www.elitefourum.com/t/shadowless-charizard-color-variation/28046/1

would disagree. these both look legitmate, just damaged and aged differently. one looks like it spent quite a time in someone’s pocket, and the other like it had an encounter with scissors

6 Likes

The right one has water damage. They’re both fine. :+1:

3 Likes

I think they’re both authentic as well.

They’re real… but also real abused… poor things!

1 Like

There are also “lighter” stamps it seems. The one I have in the middle is almost entirely orange with little to no red, it’s not faded because some parts of the card are spot on (Weakness and retreat Energies, the gold and black parts). Either a lack of ink or different print machine/color scheme.

Is this real? ibb.co/QjvHvjw

Literally says “custom” right below “Benjamin”

3 Likes

It looks so real though

Photos can be deceiving --your inquiry is just another example.

In hand you’d see that it’s clearly fake. But based on the photo there are a number of issues with the card that many people here can list off, which is knowledge you’ll gain from experience over time being involved in the hobby. However, that’s not necessary as it says “custom” on the top of the photo as mentioned :blush:

Now we got to be wary about psa counterfeits D:

This has already been a thing, it’s just never been a widely enough used scam to make a serious impact on things.

It’s one of the reasons I’m anxiously awaiting for PSA to implement NFC technology for future cases.

This is from the President of Collector’s Universe (PSA parent company), Joe Orlando, back in February:

"Keeping up with fraudsters who try to deceive collectors is a constant concern for grading companies. PSA says it will soon unveil a new piece of technology aimed at stopping at least some of that.

“A security chip, otherwise known as NFC or Near-field communication technology, will be embedded into some of our products, so collectors and dealers can verify the product has, in fact, been certified by our Company,” Orlando revealed.

“By simply touching our certified product with a current smart phone, a verification link will instantaneously appear on the screen. The link will provide the exact information of the certified collectible in our database. The embedded security adds a new level of sophistication to the validation process and next-level protection for our certified products. PCGS (the coin grading division of Collectors Universe) has already announced the addition of this new technology and PSA will be doing the same in the coming weeks.”

4 Likes

In a perfect world we would get the chip inside the most common card cases and pay minimally more per card for grading, but Joe only states that “some of our products” will receive it, which leaves us guessing.

Here’s to hoping it’s sooner rather than later🤞