Eevee Heroes reprint holofoil variants

So, I found a video that showed that Sylveon VMAX Alternative Alt (Eevee Heroes TCG) holofoil on the reprint was slightly different compared to the original. The video also showed a tweet which said this info.

Being more specific, the difference was that the eyes of Sylveon were affected by holofoil in the reprint, while the original not (idk if It was in the other way).

I would like to know:

• If this is a specific card missprint in that one, a widespread error or a feature.
  • If other cards Also suffered changes.
  • If Evolving Skies also was affected in anyway.

Imagen shown on the tweet:

Video:

4 Likes

I forgot incluiding the tweet, here It is:

1 Like

The difference looks big on the photo simply because the light will hit both in different ways, so honestly, not a really good way of comparing (like the before and after losing weight photos, people not smiling and smiling :slight_smile: on the photos… ok here Sylveon is smiling on both…).

I do own all variant, and indeed the second reprint is more sparkly if you put them on a specific angle, apart from that the difference is negligible.

I think it will be “absurd” to have a difference price tag between both version.

All in all, its a storm in a tea cup that some try to exploit. Initially, prices dropped for the chase cards (maybe because of the reprint of the difference in the sparkle), but ultimately people didn’t “care” much of the sparkle difference and price rose even higher for any versions (no discrimination made there).

I honestly would not think there is much to say on that.

3 Likes

So there is not a difference between both Sylveons and the shown is caused by the light (?)

Also, I have done some research and found this

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/2021-pokemon-japanese-sword-shield-eevee-heroes/full-art-sylveon-vmax-hyper/values/5192221

All those Japanese Sylveon that are before the reprint look like they did not have Holo effect in their eyes. That one are also because of the light or there is a real difference?

(Also, I want to investigate this for educational purposes)

I think this video explains the reason for the difference, but it is in Japanese (which I don’t understand) and contains a lot of printing lingo.

From what little I was able to glean from Google Translate: (i) differences in heat, humidity, and other environmental factors result in changes in the dots that make up the image of a card (i.e. halftone dots), (ii) sparkles result from glitter that rest between these dots, and (iii) differences in printing result in differences in halftone dots, which in turn results in different amounts of glitter resting between these dots…which in turn results in differences in how sparkly a card appears.

Apologies in advance if anything I’ve described is wrong - hopefully someone who can read Japanese can watch this video and enlighten us.

However, a good takeaway from the video is this - while there certainly is a difference in how much a card sparkles from one print versus another (i.e. it’s not a trivial difference), it’s hard to tell from photos alone. Different angles and lighting might make a card with less glitter seem more sparkly than one with more.

1 Like

I didn’t say that. I said the photo that were circulating did not show it in the correct way. Also
I said that there was more sparkles, that’s all there is.

The thumbnail of the video is so misleading and so incorrect. The color seems to even have been photoshopped or put with a light that do not reflect the true colors.

As I said when I pick from my own collection, the two variant of umbreon, at first I m not sure which one is which , until I slightly “angle” them to see that one has more sparkle (which to be said has also its own charm). But when looking at it straight without angle, you will not see any differences.

1 Like

Ok, I see what you say and I agree with you, but my question is if the eyes holo difference exists. That’s what I want to know

With this I mean that if It is true that the original version did not have Holo un the eyes but the reprinted does

they both have sparkles in the eyes, maybe one less. The sparkles in the new are slightly more coarse-grained and that’s it. I believe they may have changed the printing process (it was any a reprint , not a “restock” from old stocks).

In the sylveon, below the eevee tails ( :slightly_smiling_face:), there is in both the diamond shape (even in the photo that circulated , it seems that there is not). The difference is that in the new one , the diamond will have sparkles while in the previous its mat… so its so minimal, that again, you have to play with light and have both version to start noticing the differences.

Also in the photo you provided, it seems that in the old sylveon there is no sparkle on the edges, again that’s not true, its only due to the angle it was take as all vmaxes have sparkles…

Never thought I would talk about sparkle in a pokemon card :sweat_smile:

Ok, thanks!!!

Tripping absolute balls variant. I like that.

My version of Sylveon has less glitter on the eyes that I’ve scrutinized a bit under light. If there is a noticeable volume of glitter vs. non-glitter it would make for an interesting analysis maybe on their print method or something.