Ebay Not As Described Update July 29, 2021

Starting July 29, buyers only have 3 business days to return an item for “not as described”. This is fantastic news for sellers, as this was by far the most abused for buyers remorse. Here is the exact update notice from ebay:

32 Likes

I am a big fan of this but I think 3 days is too extreme. 7 is where it should be. There are many times when I go away for a long weekend for cards to arrive after i leave on Friday. That means the first I would have to do when I get home on Sunday night (if not not away on Monday as well) is look at all of the cards that arrived under a microscope to make sure that I don’t miss anything instead of prepping for work the next day and the upcoming week or else I lose my ebay coverage.

@smpratte, if it was 3 business days I would be ok with this but it’s 3 calendar days which is dangerous.

12 Likes

How the hell do they come up with this shit, from 30 days to 3 calendar days. I support the premise of the change but such a vast change doesn’t fill you with confidence on how well they discuss this stuff… Meanwhile ive been selling on ebay as a business for 12 years and they still cannot support me on a swaperooo fraud case. ‘Risk of selling online sir, anything else I can do for you today?’

4 Likes

Welcome to ecommerce :blush: you are a mom n pop shop that’s supposed to absorb loss like a big box store

This is the best eBay news I have heard in a long, long time!

6 Likes

The rate of inad abuse is far greater than people actually not receiving the correct item. This was long overdue. Like a decade overdue. Yeah there will be potential inconveniences if you are out of town, but that is negligible compared to the degree of inad abuse.

8 Likes

I agree that 5 business days or 7 calendar days should have been the limit, instead of 3 calendar days. Either way, much better than it used to be. Getting a return request 29 days after delivery is a joke.

5 Likes

ebay doing something for the sellers? What world am I living in?

9 Likes

How many of you wanting (7) days receive incorrect items? I’d say it is about 1% of my purchases, and it is typically due to me buying a card for cheaper from Japan and it is just cheap shipping. That’s the risk.

Other than that, I have only encountered d-bags trying to scam me. I’m stoked!

2 Likes

This is amazing, except for the stupid payment disputes that will just happen anyways. Had a card returned a few weeks back, 60 days after delivery. “I did not notice the very small scratch on the back of the PSA case and my ADHD is making it impossible for me to keep the card”. Ebay declined the return, so he goes to his bank/CC and files a claim. While the claim is going on, he sends the card back to me (so he can tell his CC company it was returned and prove it) and gets his money back. I get stuck with a card worth less than I sold it for 3 months ago, because of the market correction and he was able to hold a $1300 card “investment”(I am assuming) risk free which I am unable to do anything with it.

Until that is fixed, I can’t be as excited. I know its not ebays fault, but after talking to a rep at ebay who used to work in chargebacks at a CC company, he told me its pretty much ALWAYS going to go through on the buyers side.

F*** yes baby

1 Like

What about the Paypal policy?

4 Likes

Are you on eBay’s managed payments? If not, I’d highly recommend it. It cuts down on the PayPal he said/she said issues.

This is on their managed payments. It was past ebays return so they shut it down instantly, but banks and credit cards are the new way to force returns. I get a card back depreciated and a nice little $20 chargeback fee.

1 Like

This is brilliant news - is there any indication this will apply to eBay UK / worldwide? I’m guessing it’s just US for now?

I understand the concerns about buying cards while away, but in reality these circumstances should take up such a small proportion of the times most of us actually buy cards. Also reduce the risk further by just planning your purchases around your holidays as much as you can.

1 Like

This is great as a seller. As a buyer, seems to be a bit extreme. You go away for a long weekend and come back after a delivery and now you’re stuck. Like others have mentioned, 5 to 7 days feels like it would have been a better solution.

Great news but it should really be 3 business days due to people leaving on the weekends.

This not good for me who gets all my stuffed shipped to the vault which waits a couple of weeks to curate

1 Like

Is it 3 days from when it says it was delivered? I live in a city that was notoriously bad for USPS even before covid and since covid it’s just been a joke. Ever since eBay started doing that tracked package thing for under $20 I have literally never received my mail within 3 days of it being marked “delivered.” Usually takes 5-7 days. Similarly I also regularly have USPS tracked mail marked delivered and then actually get delivered a week later. Basically these new policies mean I won’t be able to contest over this on about 70% of my eBay orders.

The only reason I’m not really worried is that I generally only buy from sellers with good feedback and it’s probably less than 1% that I’ve had issues anyway.

Seems like an overall change, timing could have probably been thought through a bit better.

1 Like

Saw this earlier. Awesome news.

1 Like