E4's Favorite Darkrai (Polls Closed - Results)

How this works:

• cards are listed in chronological order based on first release
  • each card will have a picture followed by the option to vote for it.
  • vote for any card that you like.
  • on Sunday at 12PM Pacific Time, the polls will automatically close. I will edit this post and title to count down from least to most voted, and we will see which cards are E4’s Favorite.

Note: Most of these images are pulled from quick google searches, eBay, or bulbapedia if they had a large enough file. If you'd like me to replace an image, you're welcome to post it in the comments.

Results

Dishonorable Mentions:

Last - 0 Votes:

31st-35th - 1 Vote:

28-30th - 2 Votes:

26/27th - 3 Votes:

Top 25:

25th - 4 Votes:

5+ Votes:

22nd-24th - 5 Votes:

20th/21st - 7 Votes:

19th - 9 Votes:

10+ Votes:

17/18th - 11 Votes:

15/16th - 14 Votes:

14th - 16 Votes:

13th - 17 Votes:

12th - 19 Votes:

20+ Votes:

11th - 20 Votes:

Top 10:

10th - 21 Votes:

9th - 23 Votes:

8th - 28 Votes:

7th - 29 Votes:

30+ Votes:

6th - 30 Votes:

5th - 31 Votes:

40+ Votes

• 4th - 45 Votes:

:3rd_place_medal: 3rd - 46 Votes:

50+ Votes

Polls

DP

• 2007 - PPP/Majestic Dawn
0 voters
  • 2007 - 10th Movie Ticket Purchase/Darkrai Premium Box
0 voters
  • 2007 - Holo - DP3/Great Encounters
0 voters
  • 2007 - LV.X - DP3/Great Encounters
0 voters
  • 2007 - Holo - DP4/Great Encounters
0 voters
  • 2008 - LV.X AA - Spring Collector’s Tin Promo
0 voters

Pt

• 2008 - SP Galactic - DPt-P/Rising Rivals
0 voters
  • 2009 - DPt/L-P Daisuki Super Rank Prize/Arceus Blister
0 voters

L

• 2010 - LEGEND - LL/Triumphant
0 voters

BW

• 2011 - BW EX - BW4/Dark EXplorers
0 voters
  • 2011 - BW EX SR - BW4/Dark EXplorers
0 voters
  • 2012 - BW EX AA - Legendary EX Tin/2013 Battle Carnival Spring Prize
0 voters
  • 2012 - Team Plasma Battle Gift Set/Team Plasma Box
0 voters

XY

• 2014 - 17th Movie Ticket Purchase/Phantom Forces Blister
0 voters
  • 2015 - XY EX - XY9/BREAKPoint
0 voters
  • 2015 - XY EX SR - XY9/BREAKPoint
0 voters
  • 2016 - Special Art - Darkrai Mythical Collection/CP5
0 voters
  • 2016 - Regular Art - CP5/Volcanion Mythical Collection
0 voters

SM

• 2017 - GX - sm2+/Burning Shadows
0 voters
  • 2017 - GX SR - sm2+/Burning Shadows
0 voters
  • 2017 - GX HR - sm2+/Burning Shadows
0 voters
  • 2017 - Holo - sm3H/Burning Shadows
0 voters
  • 2018 - Prism Star - sm5S/Ultra Prism
0 voters
  • 2018 - GX Shiny AA - Shining Legends Figure Collection
0 voters
  • 2018 - GX SSR - sm8b/Hidden Fates
0 voters
  • 2019 - TT GX - Umb. & Darkrai TT GX Starter Set/Unified Minds
0 voters
  • 2019 - TT GX SR - sm12a
0 voters
  • 2019 - TT GX SR SA - sm12a/TT Powers Collection
0 voters
  • 2019 - TT GX HR - sm12a
0 voters

SWSH

• 2020 - Holo - s2a/Darkness Ablaze
0 voters
  • 2021 - Non-Holo - sH/Fusion Strike
0 voters
  • 2022 - V - sLD/Astral Radiance
0 voters
  • 2022 - VSTAR - sLD/Astral Radiance
0 voters
  • 2022 - Holo - s10P/Lost Origin
0 voters
  • 2022 - VSTAR SAR/GG - s12a/Crown Zenith
0 voters

SV

• 2023 - Holo - s3/OBF
0 voters
  • 2024 - SV ex - svI/TBA
0 voters

2 Likes

it’s pretty interesting going through these cards. Darkrai’s design is so ambiguous, it’s almost hard to make it look bad imo. It really just comes down to art style preference. I think this is the most I’ve voted for generic CGI cards considering how cool they’re able to make Darkrai look in some of them.

a couple other things that I found interesting while making this thread:

• Darkrai seems to be a favorite among the Creatures TCG designers, with nearly every card except for one being at least a holo

• even though it came out in gen 4, it nearly has as many cards as Espeon which ties back to the first point

4 Likes

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I’m not a big fan of Darkai. To me the recent VSTAR special art is by far my favorite and I think that’s because the artwork is beautiful and compliments a Pokemon which I’m not a fan of. Haha, other than that I think I primarily enjoyed the cards with a lot of texture and pop.

3 Likes

Darkrai had a really great start in its debut generation, not much since then but this recent addition is fantastic.

6 Likes

Wow i voted initial lv.x, but i havent even seen that latest sv card before, wow!! Really good

It seems that the true nature of darkrai being a dream/nightmare pokemon isn’t really captured in any of these other than maybe the Kobayashi alt art one

1 Like

This reminds me that one of my fav darkrai arts is actually moonlight stadium

1 Like

4 Likes

the kobayashi art really does give that nightmare feeling. I know it’s cliche to say, but the texture really does add to it as well

Almost missed this one. Some really cool looking cards

1 Like

I love Darkrai, he’s so cool :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Until i got to the tag teams I’d almost voted for every card so id have to agree it seems to be a difficult pokemon to make a bad art of. Its not like they’re blow you away amazing either they’re all just… good

1 Like

there’s something about this art with the texture that has so much character. it instantly made me become a Kobayahi stan

I hope they get more special arts in the future.
They also had the Great Tusk SAR from Scarlet and it also is absolutely insane

5 Likes

Can’t put my finger on it but honestly don’t like more than 3 cards here and even those are meh. All the other polls I voted for at least 6+ cards.

3 Likes

@tcgmaine @Rattlesnake

I have to agree with these opinions, unlike in previous polls I had real difficulties finding interesting cards from list above.

It was still fun to refresh memory with artworks I haven’t seen in a while, always looking forward to participate next poll for different Pokemon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really think they should give Komiya a shot at Darkrai because I agree with others and feel the illustrations just don’t capture the essence of this Pokémon. Though the illustration @c0ll3ct0r posted is the best by far!

5 Likes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Legend artwork yet. That is the one to me that truly lives up to the title of the nightmare Pokemon. It’s almost deformed and grotesque, I love it.

I agree with @niece, give Komiya a shot. Or better yet let’s see what Shinji Kanda can do with this Pokémon

7 Likes

That’s a lot of great looking cards, i found myself even voting a generic sugimori art card. I have to agree tho that even though there are a lot of really great ones the best ones are where darkrai is made somewhat fuzzy or shaky looking one like the legend one, mythical collection one by kawayoo and kobayashi alt art

1 Like

Could only choose 2 that I liked - the CP5/Mythical Collection full art and the Crown Zenith alt.

I’ve never ‘got’ this Pokemon or it’s popularity. I can’t work out what’s happening with the design and what’s what.

Also, I hate Darkrai for being one of about 10 Pokemon that stopped me from completing my Gen IV Pokedex. I had Diamond on release and don’t remember the event but obviously somehow missed it and all the others for Arceus, Shaymin etc. Maybe they didn’t have them in the UK…I don’t know.

1 Like

ngl i’m kinda surprised the VSTAR SAR was beaten out by the PPP/Majestic Dawn holo, but I can understand why.