Download pokebank + poke transporter on your 3DS before the 3DS shop shuts down forever

I was watching a video the other day about transferring a pokemon from gen 3/gameboy all the way to the newest gen of pokemon games. This requires a regular ds, 3ds, switch, and multiple generations of games. However, the 3DS shop is going to shut down March 27th of this year and if you haven’t downloaded the poke bank + poke transporter on your 3DS, you wont be able to after this date. Without these apps on your 3DS, you’ll be stuck transferring up to gen 5 or buy a 3DS with the apps.
You can download the poke bank for free on your 3DS right now but the poke transporter app requires a gen 6 cartridge, Omega Ruby/Sapphire or X/Y. I just wanted to remind everyone of this before its too late!

11 Likes

Thanks! I checked to make sure I have these and updated them just for safe measure.

2 Likes

While you’re at it, you should purchase any virtual games before the shut down (like rby & gsc). You can link your nintendo network id to your switch account on the mynintendo website and “merge funds”. I believe this is only way to reload funds into your eshop account as of now.

3 Likes

I believe you can use an eshop gift card to add funds currently.

1 Like

What happens to funds that are still left in your eshop account?

Not sure but no purchases will be able to be made on your 3DS by april so I’d use them up.

I thought there was a way to link your 3DS eshop account to the current nintendo eshop account so the funds would just be shared.

Not sure about other countries, but if your account was set in Japan:

• If you plan to merge your 3DS and/or Wii U balance to Switch, you need to do it before March 2024.
  • If you didn’t merge, you have until March 2025 to ask for refund through your bank account or Lawson. You may lose your balance if you did nothing by March 2025.

Actually did this recently:

1. log on to your nintendo account (my.nintendo.com)
  2. On account settings, link your Nintendo Network ID (found on your 3DS)
  3. Once linked, click “shop menu” on account settings, you may have to click “merge funds”

You’ll be able to reload/spend, on your 3DS (eshop) or your on switch. I assume any leftover balance after March can only be spent on Switch Online.

Want to add to this these links:

This is the 3DS article on Bulbapedia detailing all of the games on 3DS you can grab only on the 3DS Eshop/Virtual Console.

Here is the Wii U list

Here are some good videos detailing other important things you may want to pick up/know like the Sun and Moon Demo to get Ash Greninja in your games and that you should update your games if any patches are present.

4 Likes

The other main thing is Pokemon Dream Radar. I cant remember why, sadly lol.

Honestly, i would recommend modding ur 3DS with custom firmware. Its pretty easy and you can just get all the games you want without having to pay for them for the umpteenth time

1 Like

Dream Radar lets you get certain hidden ability Pokémon as well as the genie’s therian forms in BW2

1 Like

Just wanted to bump as a reminder, the eshop shuts down in 4 days!

2 Likes

Just to add to the bump, the Sun and Moon demo (free to download) is the only way to get Greninja with the ability Battle Bond, where it transforms into Ash-Greninja after KO-ing an opponent.

With Ash’s adventure ending it could be a good digital investment :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I have a technical question.
In the second video, he said if you have the game on your account and delete it from the 3ds to make space, you can re-download it again on the same console.

But I’m thinking about pokemon GSC boxed codes.

What about them? You buy the code and you lose the possibility to activate them?
Or you can still activate them and not download them ever again?
Or what else?

I didnt get that part either. Im just having everything I want on my 3ds bought and downloaded before the cutoff to be safe.

Btw for anyone interested to get all gen 1 and 2 pokemon from the virtual consoles you need Crystal and either Gold+blue or Red+Silver

And the virtual console crystal game is currently the only way to obtain a non event celebi. The videos TrainerJack linked are great for knowing what to download.

2 Likes

Actually I bought a crystal version boxed (it ended up in logistic problems and I got silver instead) and wanted to get all of them boxed.

But this news kinda bothers me a bit.
I can’t have both crystal and gold boxed & downloaded in time for the 27.

It would be great if I could just download them later having the code, but I feel like there’s still a lack in information behind this closure

The wii and 3DS eshop have officially shut down today :cry:

I did one last browse and redownloaded rumble today before they shut shop, having a pretty good time tbh. Also my transporter won’t work even with bank being free :melting_face: Bank-Home connectivity is good though

Transporter is offline. Apparently they promised that Bank would remain online after eshop shutdown but not Transporter?